Proposal for 'English only' city council meetings sparks debate in Walnut, Calif.

"..."I feel like English is still very difficult," Duan said. "I know many first-generation immigrants who, when they came to America, could not speak even a single word ... It's not fair."

Apparently it is incumbent on us to accommodate those who have not been diligent in learning English (aka "lazy"). Learn it or leave. Another pet peeve-ballots in other languages. If you can't read the English ballot then you have no business voting or falsely claiming to be a citizen.

Proposal for 'English only' city council meetings sparks debate in Walnut, Calif.
http://tinyurl.com/6pd5kbh

--
"The king of Israel answered, "Tell him: 'One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off." 1 Kings 20:11

  • Re: What if the Battle Of Hattin was never fought?
    ... English monarchs were able to pull together reasonably cohesive kingdoms during the middle ages and the German kings/emperors were not. ... wealthier then the king of France at the time. ... vassal of the French King. ...
    (soc.history.medieval)
  • Re: OT - You Brits are not too bright
    ... speak the Queen's English.(we haven't had a king for some time now!) ... Perhaps from the King? ... your Negro minority actually seems educated and able to speak the King's English with the typical British accent while our Negro minority are mostly high school drop-outs and seem to speak some kind of thick-tongued dialect that's barely English at all. ...
    (uk.rec.sailing)
  • Please, Meet the Genuine English Royal Family - The Royal Descendants from The English Monarch K
    ... Meet the Genuine English Royal Family - The Royal Descendants ... The Genuine Royal Descendants from The Biblical King David, ... THE ALMIGHTY LIVING GOD IS THE TRUTH AND THE RIGHTEOUSNESS, ... WORSHIP TO THE ALMIGHTY LIVING GOD, OF THE 12 TRIBES OF ISRAEL, FOR ...
    (alt.talk.royalty)
  • Re: King Cnut or Canute
    ... >>> I'm interested in learning more about King Cnut. ... Canute the Great. ... The Viking Warrior who created a North Sea Empire of England, ... The English, however, achieved new courage by the death of their ...
    (soc.history.medieval)
  • Re: Grammar Question
    ... In general, stories where the king can flog for unsatisfactory performance don't have characters in them that talk like modern Americans, unless time-travel is involved. ... If the King were, say, Spanish and a translation done, why should this translation use British "King's English" instead of American English? ... The translated text should be in the same level of formality (linguistic ...
    (alt.usage.english)