Re: America’s Healthcare Crisis: Is There a Solution?

On Friday, June 29, 2012 9:30:54 PM UTC-4, Islander wrote:
On 6/29/2012 10:17 AM, Werner wrote:

It may be different to you. It's the same to me - shifting costs to others leading to decimation of resources.

No, you are a free rider, enjoying the benefits of this country without
paying your fair share for shared benefits. The tragedy of the commons
refers to situations where common property is exploited for gain, often
by the majority of people. A good example of the tragedy of the commons
is where people insist on driving their gas guzzling cars, polluting the
air and thereby damaging what they own in common - clean air. Another
great example is when there is an accident on the freeway where traffic
backs up in the opposite lane where there is no obstruction simply
because every driver slows down to have a look. The common in this case
is the free flow of traffic on the freeway. When every driver takes
just a little away from that free flow to rubberneck, they are stealing
from the common.

What is my fair share? And what is yours?