Republican Administration faked savings to privatize jobs.
- From: Harry Hope <rivrvu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:18:24 -0500
Tuesday November 25, 2008
Bush Labor Department misled Congress in effort to privatize jobs
By John Byrne
President George W. Bush's Labor Department misled Congress in an
effort to prove outsourcing jobs to private companies was more
efficient than assigning the jobs to government employees, according
to a Government Accountability Office report released Monday.
The report (pdf here) http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d0914.pdf found
that the Department used fictional projected numbers to improve
"savings reports" -- even when real numbers were already available.
And when the government did find private firms to take a government
job, that employee generally was either reassigned to another task
with the same title or promoted.
The effort was called "competitive sourcing," aimed to increase
government efficiency by having federal and private organizations
compete for providing services.
While part of a federal government approach since 1955, the Bush
Administration has made the approach a key element of the President's
Management Agenda under the Office of Management and Budget.
An investigation revealed, however, that the Labor Department -- under
direction from Bush budget officials -- deliberately withheld
information about true costs.
Ain't that ducky?
- Prev by Date: Re: Only 1.443 more days until election day
- Next by Date: Contractor for military caused U.S. troops deaths.
- Previous by thread: Obama promotes fiscal restraint as counterpoint to spending plans.
- Next by thread: Re: Republican Administration faked savings to privatize jobs.