Re: New computer time

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:05:39 -0700 (PDT), California Poppy
<GoldenStatePoppy@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Aug 11, 10:54?am, El Castor <No_...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 06:42:30 -0500, Glenn <mino...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Apple has dropped support for my Mac, no OS, no browser, faulty
Internet connections and thus I can't add new technology such as a
blu-ray DVD reader/writer or access new network programs. ?I've been
through IBM, Dell, and Apple so I thought maybe HP, as they are now the
biggest and have successfully emerged from board of director's stupidity
-- too bad IBM didn't, this time. ?OS downward compatibility isn't a
problem as I have no programs to migrate. Any suggestions, please.

I'm using a fairly new HP desktop with no complaints. You'll get
Vista, which is just fine -- although older peripherals like a printer
or scanner, could lack a driver. If you want to keep your printer,
check on the manufacturer's web site for an appropriate driver. HP's
usually come with a slot that you plug an HP USB drive into. Kind of
convenient for backing up, but the HP USB drives are a little pricey,
unless you find one on sale. It accepts a regular USB drive, too, but
not in the internal slot.

You can save a few bucks by shopping around for an open box deal --
preferably from a store demo. If you buy online, there is always
trusty old Amazon, but here are a couple of links to sites that
sometimes have some very good deals.http://www.dealsofamerica.com/http://www.slickdeals.net/

For the brick and mortar deals, here's another link that is sometimes
helpful.http://www.salescircular.com/mn.shtml

Microsoft is trying to get into the on-line shopping thing with a very
strange convoluted pain in the ass thing that has produced great
bargains from time to time -- in some cases up to a rare 30% off, but
usually in the 4% - 10% range. Here's a link that explains it.http://search.live.com/cashback/stores

I'm not sure how it works in the Mac world, but you will need to get a
security suite for any PC you buy. It will probably come with a trial
copy of something installed. Buying a one year subscription can be
expensive. You can download a free 90 day trial of a Microsoft
product, Windows Live OneCare -- from here:http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm?mkt=en-us&s_cid=WL...
The 90 days will give you time to read reviews and shop around for a
deal on a one year subscription to something -- maybe even a free
after rebate offer. Personally, I'm still using OneCare -- it's
adequate. Just a tip -- when the year is getting close to expiring,
shop around for another deal -- DO NOT pay some outrageous $50 renewal
fee on your subscription, and DO NOT give the security suite vendor
your credit card number -- buy the product at a brick and mortar store
or on-line from a vendor like Amazon, and always at a substantial
discount. Most of the companies that manufacture the suites (spyware,
viruses, etc) like to suck you into an automatic renewal where they
charge your card full price every year as a "convenience". There are,
by the way, free alternatives, but you have to work at it if you want
to be adequately protected. And ... don't even think about no
protection at all. I read somewhere that an unprotected PC connected
to the Internet has a life to infection of about 4 minutes. Your
brother-in-law who tells you not to worry about it is probably up to
his gills in spyware and is running a zombie for some spammer, and
doesn't even know it. (-8

The only thing I would add is that 2gb RAM is recommended for Vista
Premium which is what I would recommend.

I agree - forgot to mention that. Also, for anyone looking for a very
small light weight ultra portable laptop, here's a good one that just
hit the market.
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/asus-eee-pc-100h.aspx
.