Re: before katrina

"Islander" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:dbidnYnZKNlx5WbZnZ2dnUVZ_qWdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
California Poppy wrote:

Jerry Okamura wrote:

Will try to catch the program, but I have argued for a long time the
"solution" is quite simple. Somehow convince people to at least get a
high
school education, and I am willing to bet that alone will go a long way
improving the income earning potential of a whole lot of people. I think
the statistics are pretty clear on that point. The lowest wage earners
in
this country are those who have not completed high school.

Not only a high school diploma, but everyone needs continuing education
throughout their lives. Even those of us who are seniors need to keep
learning: how much money for retirement, where to live in retirement,
regular driving lessons, health information, job information as well ad
education for pleasure. An example, I am now participating in an
online group that is reading some of Edgar Allen Poe's stories
together. It makes me think, learn and exercise the aging brain.. It
tells us of a world we never knew.

I certainly agree with the value of education, not just HS, but continuing
education throughout life. That may not solve the problem of poverty by
itself, but it would be a good step in the right direction.

There is one telling statistic. There is one common similarity between all
people who are among the poorest in this country. That similarity is (if
memory serves me right) 90% of them have not completed high school.

Perhaps you could tell me how to bring about the cultural change that
would convince today's youth that education is a good idea. By the time I
saw students at the graduate level, the field had already been narrowed to
those few who were motivated. To be honest, I found the Asian students to
be much more motivated than the American students, with a few notable
exceptions. I think that the problem needs to be solved much earlier and
have seen no evidence that our programs are improving anything. Jerry has
mentioned before, I think, that part of the problem is with the parents.
I agree, but that still involves implementing some sort of cultural
change. How do we do that?

I think that somehow we need to convince more parents/caregivers of these
children to put the education of their children at the top of their list of
priorities and how critically important that is. It would also help if we
told them what their role should be, in this critical area. Like the anti
cigarette ads, or the anti drug ads, or any similar efforts to convince
people that smoking or using drugs are bad for you, we need to do the same
with education. Somehow, we need to convince enough parents that "if" they
want to see that their children are successful in school, they have to work
at it, and not use schools as baby sitters for the day. I think that the
message has also got to be as consistent as possible and never ending, from
news organization, politicians, etc. I do not think that it helps a whole
lot when we hear politicians, special interest groups, or the news
organizations tell people that to "solve" the problem we need to provide
more funding for schools, or to pay teachers more, or to reduce the class
size, or any of a variety of "reasons" given that the schools are not
successful, because I think that only tells the parents/caregivers, that the
reason their children are not successful is due to some "other" factor,
which they cannot really control.

  • B. Hussein Obama via Sailer: How to improve education?
    ... What to Do About Education. ... It's an honor to be here at Mapleton Expeditionary School of the Arts. ... halls of this building were accepted to college. ... hard work of caring parents, innovative educators and some very committed ...
    (rec.audio.opinion)
  • ebooks share lits 357
    ... Parent's Guide to Special Education: ... Reshaping the Landscape of School Leadership Development: ... Development Geography Routledge Contemporary Human Geography Series ... Subjectivity in Political Economy: ...
    (sci.med.nutrition)
  • ebooks share lits 73
    ... Strategies for School Equity: Creating Productive Schools in a Just ... Molecules and Mental Illness Scientific American Library Series; ... Towards a New Modernity Theory, Culture & Society ... Does Teacher Education Make a Difference? ...
    (sci.med.nutrition)
  • Re: Interesting Unicef report
    ... "In a school voucher environment, ... "So the education system would be molded by the same people who ... children of the least politically adept parents. ... by current recipients of the taxpayers' $500+billion/year subsidy. ...
    (rec.scouting.issues)