Re: Interceptor downs missile in test over Pacific

jgrove24@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote in

El Castor wrote:
Interceptor downs missile in test over Pacific
Fri Sep 1, 2006 2:42 PM ET

By Jim Wolf

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. military shot down a target
ballistic missile over the Pacific on Friday in the widest
test of its emerging antimissile shield in 18 months, the
Defense Department announced.

The Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency said it had
successfully completed an important exercise involving the
launch of an improved ground-based interceptor missile
designed to protect the United States against a limited
long-range ballistic missile attack.

It would impress if they tried it during a rain shower and
randomly launched a target..everybody knew the target was
fired, so no BFD.

There are 3 items needed to be able to intercept 24/7

1) a radar system capable of detecting the launch and alert the
defense forces.

We built that in the '60s to handle the Soviets -- all we could
do was eliminate the launching country.

2) an interceptor that works. Demonstrated both with Navy system
and land based system. The Navy missiles were available some
time ago.

3) a system of launch locations on high alert ready to launch
when needed.

Just a matter of building the launch tubes and have rotating
silos on call. Just a variation of what we had before with SLBMs
and ICBMs.

All the components exist or just need to be paid for. No real
technical issues, just political ones. Do the politicians think
you are worth protecting?

Back in the ancient days we could spot a soviet mass launch, and
get the word out to our facilities in time to be of use.

Because of our close in SLBMs we could have HBombs exploding in
the Soviet Union about the time our cities started to evaporate.
And this was maintained 365/24/7 for decades.

So now we just launch interceptors instead of city killers.
(SLBMs were targeted at air fields, radars and other problems
for the bombers -- but the Soviets, with their poor roads put
them in cities.)

Note that the military will never promise full protection. It
will do its best but Murphy is in command -- so some missiles
will get through, unless you are willing to pay for 1000%
overlap coverage. Insurance is expensive.

  • Re: Raytheon adapts AIM-9X for air-to-ground mission
    ... IRST or even the radar to be used for extended range launches. ... It simply acquired a target within the ... A heat source in the FOV gave you a tone and meant the missile could ... This allows the launch aircraft to potentially peel away immediately ...
    (rec.aviation.military)
  • Re: Raytheon adapts AIM-9X for air-to-ground mission
    ... internal weapons bay (via a lowerable launch rail). ... or Radar and then launched with the seeker acquiriing the ... It simply acquired a target within the ... The missile went from recticle scan to rossette scan to focal plane ...
    (rec.aviation.military)
  • Re: Me-109 Production Numbers
    ... a slow airborn launcher against a high-speed airborn target. ... That the soviets took ... I think high speed missile simplify the task of the guidance ... it can can help pursuit course and some kinds of beam riders ...
    (rec.aviation.military)
  • Re: Interceptor downs missile in test over Pacific
    ... WASHINGTON - The U.S. military shot down a target ... The Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency said it had ... long-range ballistic missile attack. ... a radar system capable of detecting the launch and alert the ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Interceptor downs missile in test over Pacific
    ... WASHINGTON - The U.S. military shot down a target ... The Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency said it had ... a radar system capable of detecting the launch and alert the ... go a whole lot slower than the missile or its warhead itself....what am ...
    (soc.retirement)