Re: Is This the Credo of the Liberal ?

"Gary James" <gnjames43@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:7q9p82lcrldmgo7nbv5us563uit62rgdjj@xxxxxxxxxx
I recently ran across this, which is described as the credo of the
late Hubert Humphrey :

"The moral test of government is how it treats those
who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who
are in the twilight of life, the aged; and those who
are in the shadows of life -- the sick, the needy and the
handicapped."

During all my adult life my friends on the Conservative fringe fought
against anything that Hubert stood for. At this late date I find
myself asking --- Why ? What is so evil about the Credo ?

What he is basically asking is what is the best way to treat anyone, and
what is the best way to get the results you want to get. The basic
difference between a liberal and a conservative it seems to me, is that they
are approaching the answer to those questions differently. It is not an
issue of one is right and one is wrong, because there are really a lot of
different approaches on how best to get the results you want to get. The
problem it seems to me, is when we look at it from a purely ideological
point of view, we are putting blinders on, because the simple fact is, there
is no simple answer to the questions rasied. Every "solution" has its
advantages and disadvantages, and the problem is, because of our ideological
divide, neither side seems willing to take a step back and say what is the
best approach, what offers more advantages than disadvantages. And if that
can be determined, adopt the idea that offer more advantages than
disadvantages. Instead, we seem to like to throw rocks at the other side,
instead of having a conversation about what is the better approach.....

  • Re: Is This the Credo of the Liberal ?
    ... late Hubert Humphrey: ... who are in the dawn of life, ... You all are confusing government with The Church. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Is This the Credo of the Liberal ?
    ... late Hubert Humphrey: ... who are in the dawn of life, ... Problem is that at the time, IIRC we had economic problems. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Is This the Credo of the Liberal ?
    ... late Hubert Humphrey: ... "The moral test of government is how it treats those ... who are in the dawn of life, ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Kissin attacks BBC for anti-Israel bias
    ... he is simply a mealy-mouthed self-serving coward. ... discussing his sexual life. ... George Clooney, for example, is always ready at attention to speak out ... And George Clooney's disadvantages are? ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)