Re: For they know not what...

On Apr 18, 9:20 am, downsizingmylife <delightdarl...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Apr 14, 12:41 pm, "Jenny Brien" <jenni...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

ps....jenny.... whiskers....can yall sing, carry a tune??? i can't but
love reading and hearing music...i have a record player and records
but my niece has so many records we can't count them all so every few
weeks she comes over and we play records...everything from polka to
belly dancing music...bagpipes, now i can't hear enough, hehe....f....

Like Whiskers, I can "almost sing." And like Whiskers, I was born
Methodist. In fact, I'm backworshipping in my native church because
there are no Quakers within 40 miles.

I love singing in church, because then I don't have to worry what it
sounds like. Even if that does mean singing "Dear Lord and Father"
fortisimmo. It always struck me as ironic that it's sung as if the
voice of God were in the earthquake, wind and fire, though that's
clearly a reference to Elijah.

I have the sort of mind that remembers hymns and poems and scripture
even when I'm not trying. Another old hymn I like is about the
Tranfiguration. It puts me straight when I get too hungry for mystical
experience:

Stay, Master, stay, upon this heavenly hill;
A little longer, let us linger still;
With all the mighty ones of old beside,
Near to the Awful presence still abide;
Before God's throne of light we trembling stand,
And catch a glimpse into the spirit land.

Stay, Master, stay! we breathe a purer air;
This life is not the life that waits us there;
Thoughts, feelings, flashes, glimpses come and go;
We cannot speak them-nay, we do not know;
Wrapped in this cloud of light we seem to be
The thing we fain would grow-eternally.

"No!" saith the Lord, "the hour is past," we go;
Our home, our life, our duties lie below.
While here we kneel upon the mount of prayer,
The plough lies waiting in the furrow there!
Here we sought God that we might know His will;
There we must do it, serve Him, seek Him still.

If man aspires to reach the throne of God,
O'er the dull plains of earth must lie the road;
He who best does his lowly duty here,
Shall mount the highest in a nobler sphere:
At God's own feet our spirits seek their rest,
And he is dearest Him who serves Him best.

  • Re: For they know not what...
    ... This life is not the life that waits us there; ... Our home, our life, our duties lie below. ... Here we sought God that we might know His will; ... if you can almost sing i bet you do fine...i enjoyed reading ...
    (soc.religion.quaker)
  • The Big Questions
    ... At some point in our lives, everybody asks the big questions: ... whereas all others speak of God. ... anyone who studies the complexities of life and the ... things to serve us. ...
    (alt.religion.christian)
  • Pastoral letter #16 from resurrected saint.
    ... Saint Thomas the Divine on the Secret to Long Life. ... it springs from the very soul of the living God. ... but never having told a single lie to anyone; ... it was the innocent man that was able to face ...
    (alt.religion.christian)
  • 1/2P + 2N = 3(P - N) + M A Challenge for the Brilliant
    ... THE FLAMING SWORD FLASHING BACK AND FORTH TO GUARD THE TREE OF LIFE IS ... TO LIVE LIFE WITH HATRED A LIE TOLD BY THE EVIL ONE ... IN THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN "I LIE" IS A TRUTH TOLD BY ONE WHO LIVES NOT ... THE WORD NOT OF GOD IS IMPERFECT. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: just smoothing under a height across the north-east is too various for Faris to drown it
    ... kept out of hell, but do not see the hand of God in it; ... of your own life, and the means you use for your own preservation. ... sun does not willingly shine upon you to give you light to serve sin and ...
    (sci.crypt)