Re: Anti-gay-marriage amendment

Minun olisi pitänyt tietää, olisi pitänyt tietää,
olisi pitänyt tietää KUKA SINÄ OLET, John O'Conner:
rich hammett wrote:

My understanding of the church's belief is this:

The church believes that marriage is a holy relationship among man,
woman, and God. Any effort to change that relationship is a threat to
the basic definition of the relationship. Words have meaning, and it
appears that the church is determined to maintain the meaning of
"marriage" that it has used up to this time. If man-man or woman-woman
relationships similar to marriage become "marriage" then traditional
marriages between man and woman are no longer "marriage."

I think this describes some portion of the church's interest in the
issue. They are trying to protect a sacred institution called "marriage."

So, we shouldn't call "man-woman-woman" relationships "plural marriage"?

We're gonna have to change a LOT of mormon history books!

rich
--
-to reply, it's hot not warm
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

  • Re: new SCOTUS abortion case
    ... he said that all constitutions are written so as to have a general character, such that they can be applied to future situations that the enactors couldn't be aware of. ... thus, he believed that the "plain meaning" of the words, should usually prevail over any "original" meaning. ... gay rights advocates argue that the plain-text meaning of that phrase means that it is unconstitutional for a state to sanction hetero-sexual marriage but deny sanction to homo-sexual marriage. ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)
  • Re: partner
    ... BrE to use "partner" (meaning life-partner) to include ... The phrase used to be used in England when I was growing up ... Not in English law, no, but I think it did (and maybe still ... What it has is "irregular" marriage, which means any kind of marriage ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Christianity and civil partnership
    ... two of the first three hits you found ... traditional definition of a marriage between a man and a woman ... that the meaning of "marriage" is broad enough to include ... As for "the majority of people": ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: OT: Your not Worthy
    ... Is his marriage happy? ... meaning all of his claims of material ... success are lies. ... Either way he's clearly and obviously lying. ...
    (rec.audio.opinion)
  • Re: You know what would be REALLY "progressive"?
    ... rich hammett has brought this to us: ... Then the legislature would decouple those laws from "marriage", ... Well I wasn't thinking that it would be the WV legislature to start things off. ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)