Re: Baha'is need a new strategy

<smaneck@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1138555450.068467.248380@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Well, when you say things like it's okay to use the Writings when you 'get
> stuck' that certainly suggests they are for emergencies only<

What I said was: "So generally what we should do is offer reasonable help
and encouragement.
If we get stuck we have resources to help us, including the Writings, but
first off we must act reasonably. Our faith is desirable because it is
useful, not vice versa."

Maybe you have me mixed up with someone else. I certainly never said using
the Writings when I get stuck was for emergencies, or that only when I was
stuck did I use the Writings.. I clearly said we all have wonderful
resources to use, including the Writings, when we get stuck. So, unless you
think that reasoning and civility and encyclopedias and the internet are
only to be used in emergency, I think my meaning should have been clear to
you.

--Kent

> Kent Johnson wrote:
>> Okay, I'll bite. Where did I say we shouldn't be quoting the writings?
>
> Dear Kent,
>
> Well, when you say things like it's okay to use the Writings when you
> 'get stuck' that certainly suggests they are for emergencies only. But
> I agree that above all we have to listen to people. One of the reasons
> that the Guardian insisted that firesides were the best teaching method
> is because they allowed the seekers to ask all the questions in their
> heart.
>
> warmest, Susan

  • Re: Bahais need a new strategy
    ... Kent Johnson wrote: ... Where did I say we shouldn't be quoting the writings? ... when you say things like it's okay to use the Writings when you ...
    (soc.religion.bahai)
  • Re: The David Hume Double Standard
    ... I've seen your writings so I already know the answer....and so do you. ... I write as if I believe you are indoctrinated beyond reasoning in this specific area just like people who believe in religion. ... If these things uniquely disqualify me from discussing your ideas with ... you on this newsgroup fit that description. ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Sutters Pimples: Good, Bad, or Ugly?
    ... > Okay. ... > such luck. ... What I understand from your writings is that you pass about silly acronyms, ... What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail? ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: ~~2M~~
    ... I thought like Robin you seemed very impressive with your writings. ... OKAY who's pure nurd? ... Could you teach me Maths? ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)