Re: Chemistry from a Baha'i perspective

On Jan 15, 2006, at 11:17 PM, Matt Menge wrote:

As for potentials, yes I believe that humans existed in a state of latency before they were manifest on earth. I have heard that 'Abdu'l-Baha once said that mankind did not truly emerge until as late as the time of Adam. Before that they were in a state of latency.

Dear Matt-
Do you think this Hidden Word might have a bearing on what you say?

Persian 19.
O MY FRIENDS!

Have ye forgotten that true and radiant morn, when in those hallowed and blessed surroundings ye were all gathered in My presence beneath the shade of the tree of life, which is planted in the all-glorious paradise? Awe-struck ye listened as I gave utterance to these three most holy words: O friends! Prefer not your will to Mine, never desire that which I have not desired for you, and approach Me not with lifeless hearts, defiled with worldly desires and cravings. Would ye but sanctify your souls, ye would at this present hour recall that place and those surroundings, and the truth of My utterance should be made evident unto all of you.

Also I believe we need to consider what it means to be human. My understanding is the soul is attached to this physical world/body at the time of conception and so that means it existed in a state of latency as you suggested. The Bible tells us we are "living souls" not that we "have " souls. Living souls have bodies and minds. Our purpose is to serve God and humanity by acquiring virtues. The soul is in command of the body and intellect but it can only assume this control to the degree, amount and type of virtues acquired. The body likewise was created to serve the soul. When we acquire virtues and the soul assumes control then soul and body are in unity. It somewhat like a dog being mastered by a master. When an animal is under the mastery of a human it becomes more intelligent. Likewise when the body is under control of the soul it too becomes more intelligent.
At least that is how I was taught and what I have discovered myself through independent search for truth and reality.

Abdu'l-Baha said in the following-
"Therefore we say that man is a reality which stands between light and darkness. From this standpoint his nature is threefold-
       animal, human and divine." PUP p.461

regards.
doug