Re: yet another "are you two brothers?" anecdote

Rod Williams wrote:
Dennis Lewis:
Look beautiful is right -- when we finally got a close-up of the bed,
we saw that the guy's "partner" was a woman. Why did he consistently
refer to her as his "partner," then? Why didn't he refer to her as "my
girlfriend" -- "my main squeeze" -- "some dame"?

Ann Burlingham:
Because some people say "partner" for their partners?

Well, to be fair, this is common usage for unmarried couples, opposite-
sex and same-sex, in English-speaking countries... *except* the USA.

I know lots of folks here who use partner, even some married couples.

Gwendolyn
.