Re: After Italy's Surrender - What Role Did They Play Against Germany?

"Rich Rostrom" <rrostrom.21stcentury@xxxxxxx> ha scritto nel messaggio
"Michele" <nospammiarmel@xxxxxx> wrote:

Naval units fighting for Japan? Have you got any details?

Two Italian submarines, COMMANDANTE ALFREDO CAPPELINI

COMANDANTE ALFREDO CAPPELLINI.

and LUIGI TORELLI, were in Japanese-controlled harbors
when Italy surrendered. (Sabang and Singapore, respectively.)

They were surrendered to Japan, which handed them
over to Germany, there being a German naval command
operating submarines from Japanese bases.

The Germans renamed them UIT 24 and UIT 25, and
operated them until May 1945, when they were
handed over to the Japanese navy, and renamed
I 503 and I 504.

That's all the information I have; what became
of the Italian crews, and who manned the boats
after the transfer, I don't know.

Thank you. A Wikipedia article says that some Italian crewmen served
alongside the Germans on the Cappellini. All in all, however, I'd say these
subs were simply seized by the Japanese, not that they were "Italian naval
units fighting for the Japanese".

.