Re: Marines at D-Day

Cub Driver wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:21:47 +0000 (UTC), PzKfw Bob
> <my2cents@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> My sense of the U.S. Marines in WWII is that they were still "the
> navy's army". Accordingly they served only in places where the navy
> was in command: Eisenhower didn't have marines, and neither I think
> did MacArthur. They all belonged to Halsey.

Macarthur was in control of the 1st and 4th Marine divisions unit 1943
when the 4th Marine Division was transferred to Halsey.

  • Re: U.S. rethinks a Marine Corps specialty: storming beaches
    ... the Army can do the job and if the USMC gets the budgetary ax ... adaquately dig in because "the Marines are historically an offensive ... more than base/ship guards. ... the largest force of Marines prior to WWII was a 2 regt brigade in WWI ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • Re: U.S. rethinks a Marine Corps specialty: storming beaches
    ... the Army can do the job and if the USMC gets the budgetary ax the ... Yeah the Marines show superior intelligence at Khe San where they refused ... more than base/ship guards. ... the largest force of Marines prior to WWII was a 2 regt brigade in WWI. ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • Re: U.S. rethinks a Marine Corps specialty: storming beaches
    ... the Army can do the job and if the USMC gets the budgetary ax the ... adaquately dig in because "the Marines are historically an offensive ... more than base/ship guards. ... the largest force of Marines prior to WWII was a 2 regt brigade in WWI ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • Admitting Failure
    ... The Armed Forces couldnâ??t man the surge until they lowered standards. ... not transform into perfect Marines through some magic formula of tough love ... Frederick Kagan and now-retired Army Gen. ... no less than 13 National Guard brigades have been ...
    (rec.audio.opinion)
  • Re: U.S. rethinks a Marine Corps specialty: storming beaches
    ... The Corps sees the hand writing on the wall, if no specialty like ... The Navy expanded the Marines to avoid having to deal with the ... not because the Army was incapable of doing the job required. ... That was a point of contention during WW2 when the Rangers, Commandos, ...
    (sci.military.naval)