Re: Uses of history

Peter Jason <pj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 23:32:22 +0000, William Black
What facts?

The ones historians use to write books about. Of course these will
have a certain probability of being true and this can be factored in.

Ah, historical "facts" again 8-). Sometimes these "facts" are nothing more
than a claim by one interested(biased) party, quite often based on second-
or third-hand "information" and perpetuated by generations of uncritical
historians. Ian Mortimer, in a book I bought in Kzoo last year, "Medieval
Intrigue", looks closely at one instance of this, the "approved" version of
the death of Edward II , and shows how weak the usual story is, and how
much other evidence there is to disprove it. Every so often this happens
to "historical facts".

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad

  • The pseudo-histories of the Iraq War
    ... The pseudo-histories of the Iraq War ... informants in these books are never identified and so can't be ... of historians - giving the impression that their reporting is history ... here is the cardinal rule for anonymous sources in this new ...
    (alt.politics.bush)
  • Iraq war critics accounts more gossip than history
    ... Three recent books about the ``fiasco'' in Iraq -- ``Cobra II'' by Michael Gordon and Bernard Trainor, ``State of Denial'' by Bob Woodward and just plain ``Fiasco'' by Tom Ricks -- have attracted a lot of attention, and sales. ... Often these days journalists mimic the foot-noting of historians -- giving the impression that their reporting is history documented by verifiable primary and secondary sources also available to the reader. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: who really started ww2 in the pacific?
    ... Many aphorisms exist because they are clever bits of rhetoric ... All historians have biases. ... I've got plenty of books on WWII written by Germans and Japanese. ... lay my hand on book after book written by losers, ...
    (soc.history.war.world-war-ii)
  • Re: Iraq war critics accounts more gossip than history
    ... Often these days journalists mimic the foot-noting of historians -- giving the impression that their reporting is history documented by verifiable primary and secondary sources also available to the reader. ... But by too often using only the veneer of the historical method, the authors of these three books give their work a patina of scholarly credibility that can confuse the reader. ... Since Woodward so far won't name them, how do we really know that they are ``knowledgeable'' or even ``primarily'' used? ... here is the cardinal rule for anonymous sources in this new genre of pseudo-history: Talk to reporters as soon as possible ``off the record'' in hopes that they will be sympathetic. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Boswell: Structuralist or Post-Structualist?
    ... historians in this field. ... pick out the most prominent historian in this area: Boswell. ... Homosexuality, and his later work, Same-Sex Unions? ... I'd be very careful with Boswell's books. ...
    (soc.history.medieval)