Re: Why Don't the Welsh Speak Latin?

John Briggs wrote:
On 01/06/2010 20:40, Weland wrote:
John Briggs wrote:
On 01/06/2010 15:37, Weland wrote:
John Briggs wrote:
On 01/06/2010 09:28, Pete Barrett wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2010 01:19:20 +0100, John Briggs
<john.briggs4@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Oh, it's solid - and something of an embarrassment to those who don't
believe in Anglo-Saxon invasions.

Why should it be an embarrassment? The settling of British people in
Armorica could surely have happened independently of Anglo-Saxon
invasions, if any? Indeed, the legends say that the first wave of
settlement was by British soldiers of Macsen Wledig (Magnus Maximus),
which would be *before* any possible Anglo-Saxon incursions into Great
Britain.

Would it?

Yes.

<hint> Saxon Shore.

Indeed, you should probably read up on it.

You tell me: does it pre-date Magnus Maximus, or post-date him?

Wrong question. You have to first ask and answer with evidence whether the "Saxon shore" was a defense against the Saxons or a defense manned by the Saxons for the Romans or not a defense per se at all but an economic center (assuming we can treat all the forts as if they all had a unified and identical function).
.