Re: Black Death timeline

In the decades leading up to the BD Plague, there were famines brought on by
the European climate becoming much wetter. This occured with the population
at a relatively high level, already taxing the agricultural system.

The general population was in a weakened state and there were other
epidemics that were going around Europe that preceded and coincided w/ the

Perhaps the discrepancies you're finding are due to uncertainty as to
exactly what epidemic was hitting, and when. A further complication is that
there are 3 types of The Plague: bubonic, pneumonic, and septicaemic. I
think they all are somewhat different in symptoms - the last one kills very

"Sheila EJ" <mydog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have been trying to come up with a definitive timeline for the Black
Death - that is, the 'exact' dates that the plague arrived in each city and
the routes it travelled. I have literally read through 46 books to date and
no two seem to agree on the same time frame. For example:

Arrival in Genoa ranges from Nov 1347 to Jan 1348
Marseille ranges from Dec 1347 to Jan 1348 to Feb 1348
Lyon - Feb 1348 to 22 April 1348
Bordeaux is either March, April or June 1348
Weymouth is the widest spread from 8 May 1348 to 01 Aug 1348

I believe I have read through just about every major academic work done on
the topic - but for the life of me I can't come up with two books
espousing the same dates. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or, perhaps
care to wade in with some discussion on same?

(PS - Mr. Hines. I really am sorry! You must be having a rough day - and
I truly do mean that in a very sincere, caring manner. Hopefully,
however, it will all work out ok in the end, right?)

Author, Military Historian, Clash Fan, Mommy

Four things greater than all things are,
Women and Horses and Power and War -Rudyard Kipling