Re: Beowulf

In article
<be36144f-f90e-4851-840d-233c6f6cefeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
am05@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On May 21, 9:44 am, erilar <dra...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In article
<ff44e9bd-3020-4610-a4d5-d8b1eb308...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

      Promises, promises....

There is a joke which ends up with exactly these words but I'm most
definitely not going to tell it to you. :-)
Likely a good idea 8-)

      Remembering Carter's problems getting things through Congress, I
keep wondering how much the kid could accomplish. . .

This is an open question for any President but I'm somewhat reluctant
of being a guinea pig for the big-scale social experimentations.
Especially when they involve ...er... 'social justice',
'redistribution of the wealth', etc. Somehow I'm always finding myslef
on a paying side.
Oh, I know all about that, too 8-\

Not to mention that few decades spend in the Workers Paradise made me
somewhat sceptical about the whole idea..... :-(

Oh, QUITE understandable!
soap,
however. . .

Now, this would be something to see... :-)

Once upon a time this was used on children who used inappropriate
language.

I know. But I'm a grown up reactionary so this IS the language totally
appropriate for me. If I start being politically correct, what's the
purpose (and fun) of being a reactionary? :-)
None whatsoever, of course. Particularly the fun part.

Now I suppose one would be arrested for child abuse for
trying it.

Yep.

 In medieval times, of course, "soap" was something else.
Let's see. . . beating them on rocks along the stream and spreading them
out on bushes to dry???

This sounds as a well-thought and totally appropriate action to me
but, hey, I am a reactionary! :-)

Well, I'm old enough to remember being struck on the hand with a ruler
by a teacher. . . I have major reactionary moments myself.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo ;

  • Re: What are the little things that would give ETs amongst us away?
    ... _no one knows_ whether it's a joke or not. ... There is absolutely no constructive reason to make such comments in such a situation -- often there are signs posted in security checkpoints to that effect. ... The criminal justice system will fall to pieces if you have to do the equivalent of proving your case in court before you even make an arrest. ... If the police are allowed to arrest people arbitrarily so long as these people are released within a certain time limit, that sets the stage for massive abuse of police power. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.science)
  • Re: Thank you Jeter.
    ... Yankee fans have suddenly developed for Captain Clutch, ... I'm not surprised you didn't see the joke. ... For some reason, people only realize how asinine that criticism is ... when its leveled at the Yankees most sacred of sacred cows. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-yankees)
  • Re: Personal attacks by moderators in a moderated group are unprofessional
    ... Humor is relative, Edward. ... You don't think it's funny because the joke ... Furthermore, the only reason it can be offensive, or funny, or indeed ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: I think Ill respond , RANT
    ... I don't care if it was 'only a joke', the reason I replied to this jerk is because I have had first hand dealings with "these people". ... :> this Jesus guy is supposed to have given them, and make up their own minds ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)