Re: Yes, Virginia -- Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli Was Jewish
- From: am05@xxxxxxxxxxx
- Date: 13 Jun 2006 10:42:40 -0700
William Black wrote:
Obviously the idea of 'Jewish Ethnicty' is absurd.
There can be more than one point of view on this issue and categorical
For a start the word
'Ethnicity' is essentially meaningless.
It is not: "A sense of being different than other groups because of
cultural tradition, ancestry, national origin, history, or religion."
Makes a lot of sense, especially if
you live in a multicultural country.
One may argue that a notion of a _single_ 'Jewish Ethnicity' is
However, there are numerous smaller groups for which it makes a perfect
For example, the Jews of Bukhara, the Jews of Ethiopia, etc. all the
'the Jews of Brighton Beach' ( :-) ).
Actually, within a framework of this definition, it is factually
correct to say that all
Jews from the former SU had the same ethnicity regardless of the
even cultural aspect of the issue. And the relevant point is that,
differences in cultural background, etc. the Jews of the US (or at
least quite a few
of them) identified themselves as being a part of the same greater
(whatever it may mean) as the 'Soviet Jews' or the Jews of Israel (who
anything but uniform). How you are going to define this common
denominator is not
- Prev by Date: Re: Period of the great (Teutonic) migrations - Interactive Maps
- Next by Date: Re: Roman infantry tactics into the Dark and Middle ages...
- Previous by thread: Re: Yes, Virginia -- Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli Was Jewish
- Next by thread: Re: Yes, Virginia -- Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli Was Jewish