Re: SHM stats for January

Andrew Chaplin <ab.chaplin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Peter Alaca" <P.Alaca@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:43e546ff$0$52636$dbd43001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Paul J Gans wrote: ds3bf2$cl2$10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Nor can we class the Kensington Rune Stone stuff as "medieval
history", though we can certainly journey over to sci.archaeology
and argue it.

---- Paul J. Gans

The KRS is medieval speculation with a lot of
(misunderstood and misinterpreted) history,
and for some with a social function.
That is shm, isn't it?

I think the KRS or, more properly, historians' views of it is an
important mediaeval historiography subject and quite on-topic,
regardless of my views of the whole mess. (Of course, my views of it
count for very little, as it's not my period and not my field, being a
modernist and all.)

But medieval historians essentially universally reject the KRS
as an authentic item.

Historically, it has been discussed to death and beyond in
sci.archaeology. Every so often it splashes over into SHM
much as a wrestling match in an over full bathtub *will*
make waves.

Generally, nobody here thinks much of the KRS and I think that
the majority are quite happy when the water drains a bit and
the KRS goes back to sci.arch.

I'm one of those.

------ Paul J. Gans

  • Re: Insider: The Kensington Code
    ... Insider: The Kensington Code ... A puzzling documentary links the Knights Templar to Minnesota's ... Last fall, the History Channel aired Holy Grail in America, a two-hour ... many negative connotations attached to the KRS that few people have ...
    (sci.archaeology)
  • Re: Insider: The Kensington Code
    ... Insider: The Kensington Code ... A puzzling documentary links the Knights Templar to Minnesota's ... Last fall, the History Channel aired Holy Grail in America, a two-hour ... too many of the folks who are interested in the KRS have gotten an idea of what it all means, and have run with their idea to absurd lengths. ...
    (sci.archaeology)
  • Re: KRS book: Geology
    ... One can note that the KRS has been out of a strong weathering environment for nearly 100 years, and that apparently the tombstone samples were in a stronger weathering environment that when the KRS was in the ground, to support the theory that the stone must have been carved at least two hundred years ago. ... insofar as to the switch to history. ... Of those how many would know the specific ancient dialect? ...
    (sci.archaeology)
  • Re: KRS book: Geology
    ... One can note that the KRS has been out of a strong weathering environment for nearly 100 years, and that apparently the tombstone samples were in a stronger weathering environment that when the KRS was in the ground, to support the theory that the stone must have been carved at least two hundred years ago. ... settlement in the area did NOT occur at, or before, the time of the stone being carved, then you have history also saying "it must be genuine". ... Of those how many would know the specific ancient dialect? ...
    (sci.archaeology)
  • Re: SHM stats for January
    ... history", though we can certainly journey over to sci.archaeology ... The KRS is medieval speculation with a lot of ... But medieval historians essentially universally reject the KRS ... Every so often it splashes over into SHM ...
    (soc.history.medieval)