Re: The Eastern Roman Empire - not so long ago

Il Sat, 2 Sep 2006 19:34:45 -0700, YahooRefugee ha scritto:

"Curt Emanuel" <cemanuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

"YahooRefugee" <bill_larson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I wonder if anyone can confirm for me the interesting assertion I read
that
the Eastern Romans once called themselves "Romanians", and the country of
the Eastern Roman Empire, "Romania".

Well, not exactly. First, Romania is Latin in form, not Greek so that
should give you a big hint.

According to Vasiliev's _History of the Byzantine Empire_ after the 4th
Crusade the Latin conquerers called the Empire Romania. The Greeks never
called themselves that - AFAIK they always called themselves Romans and
their nation the Roman Empire - at least that's how my translation of Anna
Comnena reads which is the latest Greek work I have.

Curt Emanuel
I read some of Comnena's history in English at
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/AnnaComnena-Alexiad.html. It is is a
weird feeling to read something written by an emperor's daughter from the
twelfth century. You really get a strong feeling for the times, how bloody
they were! Contrast that with modern times. You can see the empire that Al
Qaeda is trying to create as being simply a follow-up to Islam's and
Arabia's phenomenal successes prior to European colonialism. I would hate
to re-enter the brutal world of empires again. Yet, we may eventually have
no choice if we don't kindle a love of freedom in the Middle East. The
Roman Empire was overtaken by the westward expansion of Asia, but funny
thing is, we can't expand west any more. Our back is against the wall.

After surviving the incessant attacks of the Arabs, following the loss of
Egypt, Syria and Palestine, the Byzantine Empire knew a very terrible
defeat in 1071 at Mazinkiert, Armenia. A true Byzantine Waterloo as they
definitive lost Anatolia which was occupied by the Turks Seljudiks. Asia
Minor began to be called Turkey...
Apparently this was due to the problematic relationship between the emperor
and some relatives...
That defeat... determined the rise of the Turks who also conquered Bagdad
and the Holy Land... So we got the Crusades (1090)...
Weird, but nowadays we are still paying off that Byzantine court
conspiration. If the Greek-Byzantines had won that battle, the Turks were
obliged to go back the their homeland and etc etc...

--
Basilides
"Être libre signifie choisir son chemin, et chaque pas peut

  • The Incarnation of Satan - Part I
    ... empire, then there must have been a first and second empire. ... The first Reich was the Holy Roman Empire, and there are facts about this ... full name for it was the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation. ... Wars are no longer fought based on the interests of one particular country, ...
    (soc.religion.christian)
  • Re: What are your 3 favorite historic civilizations and why?
    ... Akkadian Empire, badass conquerors, but also adapted the scientific, ... Early andean civilization, how many cultivars can we attribute to this ... I wanna say the Roman Empire, but the empire had a serious lack of ... The Greeks weren't a united civilization but how much of Rome is Greek? ...
    (sci.archaeology)
  • Re: Why and How the Roman Empire Fell
    ... the Roman Empire officially split into a western ... Historians' viewpoints on the evolution of Imperial Rome ... It should be noted that while it was an empire, the emperor often ...
    (sci.archaeology)
  • Re: The Eastern Roman Empire - not so long ago
    ... the Eastern Roman Empire, "Romania". ... According to Vasiliev's _History of the Byzantine Empire_ after the 4th ... Comnena reads which is the latest Greek work I have. ... definitive lost Anatolia which was occupied by the Turks Seljudiks. ...
    (soc.history.ancient)
  • Re: What are your 3 favorite historic civilizations and why?
    ... Akkadian Empire, badass conquerors, but also adapted the scientific, ... civilization certainly deserves consideration. ... I wanna say the Roman Empire, but the empire had a serious lack of ... Even Alaxander is the product of Greek civilization ...
    (sci.archaeology)