Re: Ancestry.com search engine and FTM 2008 -- forget it!!

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 08:20, A Nonnie Moose
(moose@xxxxxxxxxx) opined:

WARNING: The following is a rant that serves no useful purpose but
to allow the poster to blow off steam.
<snip>
Guess this is what happens when you employ a shop full of computer
nerds who feel that they ABSOLUTELY MUST "improve" things.

Disclaimer: I do not presently use FTM and have not used it since
my initial experience with it back in the late 90's. I do not and
will not subscribe to Ancestry, for reasons I've expounded
elsewhere.

I'm not so sure I'd blame the shop full of computer nerds. Rather,
I'd blame the business model, which seems to mandate change/
"improvement" in order to maintain or increase sales. FTM seems
prey to this "feeping creaturism", at least more so than other,
similar products out in the wilds of userland. But to blame the
programmers for this is like blaming the pistol for the murder.

The same, I think, is true of the Ancestry user interface: in an
effort to make the site appear new and improved, management has
mandated that changes will be made. While these changes are
frequently only cosmetic, they often lead to unintended side effects
which make the site less user friendly and, consequently, less
useful. But Sales can point to the "improvements" as proof that
things are better than ever.

And that, I think, is the crux of the problem: if your only focus
is your quarterly bottom line, you will do what's necessary or
expedient to make sure that bottom line improves from quarter to
quarter. Ain't business wonderful?

Cynical Ol' Bob
(Yeah, I know, isn't an "S" - but the _sound_ is)

-----
Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable
reason so few engage in it. -- Henry Ford

Bob Melson <amia9018@xxxxxxxxxxx>
.