Re: ATof George William "Bill" Arnold, Jr. to European Gateway Ancestors to America (400-865)

On Sep 13, 10:44 am, Bill Arnold <billarnoldflor...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sep 13, 10:40 am, Bill Arnold <billarnoldflor...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In the interest of scholarship, I offer a fuller AT without full
footnotes [on file at the New England Genealogical Society in Boston]
but some footnotes,
fully expecting appreciation for some holes filled
in ATs of others and some critiques and corrections.  Because of
length, it will come in parts.
All will be appreciated.

Bill Arnold
billarnoldflor...@xxxxxxxxx

               Ancestry of

George William “Bill” Arnold, Jr.

read more »

400 401
Augustin Stieff____________________Anna(Maria) Barbara Unknown
b.30 Nov 1683, Germany b.1683, Germany
d.-?- Germany d.24 May 1746, Germany
402 403
Unknown Stalegger__________________Unknown
b. -?- prb. Germany b. -?-
married: -?-
d. -?- d. -?-
404 405
Johann Wilheim Lutz________________Maria Barbara Muller
b.7 Apr 1723, Bavaria, Germany b.1727, Bavaria, Germany
married -?-
d. 1794, Wilson, NB. d.-?-, Wilson, NB.
406 407
Unknown Wiessler___________________Unknown
b. -?- prb.Germany b. -?-
married -?-
d. -?- d. -?-
424(same as 432) 425(same as 433)
George Edgett/Edgit/Adsit,_________Ann Avery
son of John Adsit
b.abt.1708, Block Island, Lyme,CT b. -?-
married before 1730(birth eldest son) Greenwich, CT
d. -?- d. -?-
• Notes
• The popular legend is that our original American Edgett ancestor
was John Adsit of Lyme, Connecticut. Most of the information on him
comes from the book "Descendants of John Adsit of Lyme, Connecticut"
by Newman Ward Adsit. It claims John was "The ancestor of all Adsits
in North America. He arrived in Lynn [sic], Connecticut from England
about 1716, along with two brothers, who settled in Hartford, Ct. and
on Block Island." (As an aside, the wording may be misleading, or new
information may have been turned up since the first publication of the
book. A blurb for it on Heritage Creations dot com claims "John Adsit
lived in Wethersfield and Hartford before settling at Lyme,
Connecticut, ca. 1716. He married twice and was the father of nine
children. He died at Lyme in 1734.")
But Mr. Newman Adsit may have been a bit enthusiastic. The New England
Historic Genealogical Society states: "The earliest record we have
found of this family is the will of JOHN ADSIT of Lyme, CT probated
1734/35. [But see HT 4447 4 Oct. 1952 which claims that his father was
Samuel of Hartford, CT. Family information from TAG v.36 and notes at
AML]."
So there's at least some confusion as to who might have arrived when
and where. But at any rate, our direct patrilineal ancestors in were
in Connecticut in the earliest part of the eighteenth century and
possibly in the seventeenth. Nice coincidence with the Herrmanns, too.
There's also some confusion over John Adsit's children. The New
England Historic Genealogical Society states: "JOHN ADSIT had two
wives, the first being Sarah, dau. of Henry and Sarah (Stone) Howard.
He m. 2nd Mary. She may have been Mary Griffin or Mary, dau. of Henry
and Sarah (Ames) Howard. [HT 9558, 20 Nov. 1948]." Did John marry
first one and then another daughter of Henry, each of whom had a
different mother named Sarah? Lordy! The reason it's interesting to
try and sort out the original children of John is that we are
descended from him twice.
426(same as 434) 427(same as 435)
Unknown Casterman(Unknown Mann)*___Unknown
b. -?- b. -?-
married -?-
d. -?- d. -?-
428 429
John Peck Rebecca(Rebekah) Richardson
b.13 oct 1700,Attleboro,MA. b.28Feb,1697,Medfield,Norfolk,MA
or b.10 Jun 1698,Woburn, MA
married: 26 May 1724,Attleborough/Rehoboth, MA.
d.22 Mar 1730,Attleboro,MA. d.6 DEC 1711, Attleboro,Ma.
430 431
Thomas Skinner(Deac)_______________Abigail Day
b.30May1695,P,Malden,Middlesex,MA b.1 Nov 1693, Wrentham, MA
married: 4 Jan 1720, Wrentham, Middlesex, MA
d.17 Feb 1748,Mansfield,Bristol,MA d.27 Feb 1672, MA

[source]: The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Jan,
1850, page 86: Early Records of Wrentham, Mass, By New England
Historic Genealogical Society, Henry Fitz-Gilbert Waters, A REGISTER
OF MARRIAGES IN THE TOWN OF WRENTHAM, IN THE COUNTY OF SUFFOLK, IN His
MAJESTY'S PROVINCE OF MASSACHUSETTS
BAY, NEW ENGLAND, 1681 to 1724: 1720-21, Jan 4, Thomas Skinner and
Abigail Day

[source]: Report of the Record Commissioners of the City of Boston,
Out of Town Marriages, By Boston, Mass., Registry Dept, City Document
150, 1898, page 320:
Thomas Skinner & Abigail Day, married by Mr. Henry Messinger, in
Wrentham, Mass, Jan. 11, 1720

Notes: Abigail (Day) Skinner
!Copley, Genevieve Thomas Skinner of Malden, Descendants. p47-48.
432(same as 424) 433(same as 425)
George Edgett/Edgit/Adsit,_________Ann Avery
son of John Adsit
b.abt.1708, Block Island, Lyme,CT b. -?-
married before 1730(birth eldest son) Greenwich, CT
d. -?- d. -?-
TENTH GENERATION: 7/GREAT-GRANDPARENTS
Five Hundred Twelve Ancestors
656 657
Ninian Magruder(I)_________________Elizabeth Brewer
b.1686,Calvert County, Maryland b.25Oct 1690,Ann Arundel Co.,MD
married -?-
d.-?- d.abt.1751, Frederick Co., MD
658 659
Edward Offutt______________________Eleanor Edmonston
b.-?- b.about 1707
married -?-
d.-?- d.-?-
664 665
Robert Prior_______________________Betty Virginia Green
b.1666, England b.1667, Gloucester County, VA
married 1689
d.1735,Ware Parish,Gloucester,VA d.-?-
668 669
Andrew Wade________________________Martha Farley
b.-?- b.-?-
married -?-
d.aft.1766, Halifax County, VA d.-?-
688 689
Unknown Zach(a)ry__________________Unknown
b.-?- b.-?-
married -?-
d. -?- d. -?-
692 693
James Lea(Leigh)___________________Ann Herndon
b.abt.1716, King & Queen Co., VA b.1707, King & Queen Co., VA
married 1746
d.2 Jun 1788, Caswell Co., NC d.1777, Caswell Co., NC
696 697
Unknown Tindall____________________Unknown
b.-?- b.-?-
married -?-
d.-?- d.-?-
704 705
Thomas Howerton____________________Unknown
b. about 1640, England b.-?-
married -?-
d. before 1700, Essex Co., VA d.-?-

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=mysouthernroots&id=I876

FIRST HOWERTONS IN AMERICA, by Bryan R. Howerton
Howerton Heritage Newsletter, Spring 1996

We have not been able to positively identify the location in England
from which the first Howertons departed for the American colonies.
Several people, including myself and, most notably, Doris Walton of
Stillwater, Oklahoma have searched in England for Howerton roots.
Shropshire was the only area in which past residence of a significant
number of Howertons was found. In addition, Doris found records of a
group of Howardtons (including a John and a Thomas) in the
Northumberland area at about the time of the departure of our
ancestors. Oral tradition handed down among various American Howertons
variously attributes our origin to England, Wales, and Scotland (in
that order). The numerous claims that our first Howertons came from
England or Wales lends some support for the idea that they were a part
of the group found in Shropshire at that time. However, positive
identification of their home in England is still lacking.

Persistent family legend, among some Howerton lines, indicates that
three brothers arrived in America at about the same time. Search of
early colonial records fails to support the legend, unless the William
Howton who witnessed a deed on 28 October 1668 in Essex (Old)
Rappahannock County, Virgina could have been the third brother.
__________________________________________________________________728
729
Unknown Medley_____________________Unknown
b.-?- b.-?-
married-?-
d.-?- d.-?-
__________________________________________________________________732
733
Unknown Crosthwait_________________Unknown
b.-?- b.-?-
married-?-
d.-?- d.-?-
736 737
William McKinney___________________Elizabeth Blundall
b.about 1690,Westmoreland Co., VA b.1695
married about 1710
d.1755,Cople Parish,Westmoreland d.-?-
738 739
John Gathings______________________Ann Cobham
b.before 1766, Calvert County, MD b.-?-
married -?-
d.29 Nov 1708,Richmond County, VA d.-?-
764 765
Unknown Hardy______________________Unknown
b.-?- b.-?-
married-?-
d.-?- d.-?-
800 801
Hans Heinrich Stieff_______________Unknown
b. -?- b. -?-
married -?-
d. -?- d. -?-
808 809
Unknown Lutz_______________________Unknown
b.-?- b.-?-
d.-?- -?-
810 811
Michael Muller_____________________Unknown
b.7 Apr 1723, Bavaria, Germany b.1727, Bavaria, Germany
d. 1794, Wilson, NB. d.-?-, Wilson, NB.
848(same as 864) 849(same as 865)
John Adsit(Edgit)(Edgett)__________Sarah Howard, dau. of
Henry Howard and Sarah Stone
b. 1649/1668, Sussex Co, England b. 1651, Wethersfield, CT
married 1653, Wethersfield, CT
d. Jan, 1734, Lyme, CT d.bef.1709,age 58,Hartford, CT

[in John Adsit’s will, he says his father was Samuel Adsit of
Hartford, CT, and probably he and his father emigrated from England in
1716]

[John Adsit(Edgit)(Edgett) had son George Edgett who married Ann
Avery, who had son Joel Edgett who married Esther Mann, who had four
children, my ancestor son John Edgett, and Isiah Edgett who married
Beersheba Adsit, his second cousin. Second cousins share common great-
grandparents, in this case John Adsit(Edgit)(Edgett)]

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/m/c/c/Linda-Mccready-CA/WE...

856 857
Hezekiah Peck Deborah Cooper
b.1 Apr 1662, Attleboro, MA. b.21 Sep 1664, Attleboro, MA.
married: 1686,Rehoboth/Attleboro, Bristol, MA.
d.2 Sep or 9 Aug 1723 d.5 Mar 1730/6,Attleboro, MA.
858 859
Steven Richardson Abigail Wyman
b.15Aug 1649,Woburn,Middlesex,MA. b.about.1659, Woburn,,MA
married: 31 Oct 1674 in Billerica, Middlesex, MA.
d.20 Mar 1716/17,Woburn,MA. d.17 Sep 1720, Attleboro,Ma.

860 861
Thomas Skinner_____________________Hannah Carpenter
b.3?Nov 1668, Malden, b.21 1st mo.[March] 1671,
Middlesex, MA Swansea, Bristol, MA
married: by 1695, probably Swansea, Bristol, MA
d.btwn.29 Jun 1757/19 May 1758 d.afer 29 Jun 1757, probably
Norton, Bristol, MA Norton, Bristol, Ma

[source]:http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CARPENTER/
2008-10/1223112758

Notes, by Eugene Cole Zubrinsky: Notes: Hannah Carpenter
!E89.0422.02 Naber abt 1670 E90.0505.02, 03 Clark, Richard fgs 506
Wood St, Troy, NC 27371: liv 9 Jun 1757 Norton, Bristol, MA
864(same as 848) 865(same as 849)
John Adsit(Edgit)(Edgett)__________Sarah Howard, dau. of
Henry Howard and Sarah Stone
b. 1649/1668, Sussex Co, England b. 1651, Wethersfield, CT
married 1653, Wethersfield, CT
d. Jan, 1734, Lyme, CT d.bef.1709,age 58,Hartford, CT

[source]: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SURNAMES/1995-03/0795835267

John Adsit and Mary. This John Adsit is supposedly the first Adsit in
America of whom there is any known record. He lived in Wethersfield
and Hartford, CT before locating at Lyme, CT about 1716. He had
supposedly come from Essex, England when a small lad. No record of
place or date of birth has been found, but his death is recorded as
Jan 1734/5. He first married Sarah Howard of
Wethersfield, Ct in 1653 and had three children. He secondly married
Mary and had 6 more children [Robert J. Adsit, "Adsit Family History",
c. 1960 (his address given as 588 Cullum ?St., Meadville, PA 16335,
page 34]. Adsits, it looks like they were concentrated in upstate NY
and Pennsylvania.

[source]: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ADSIT/2006-02/1140382935

From the book Descendants of John Adsit of Lyme, Connecticut by Newman
Ward Adsit. George is briefly mentioned in the will - "I have given or
paid portions to ye children I had by my former wife already yet
nevertheless my mind and meaning is that my said son John pay unto
George Ageet fiveshillings when he said John comes of age. (Ageet was
one form of spelling for Adsit)
George was the third son of John and Sarah Howard (first wife). All it
states in the book is that the firstchild was John (died 1712 at Block
Island and left an estate of 94 pounds which his father inherited as
next of kin, #2 Samuel, died 1712 at Hartford, Conn. and #3,George,
living in 1734. Mentioned in father's will.
.