RE: bridging the Dark Ages in Europe genealogically

I agree that testing one person, alone, tells you nothing about your genealogy
(though it does tell you something about your ethnicity), which is one reason no
one person can serve as a "reference" sample. Everyone's results have to be
assessed in terms of the results of others.

Two people don't have to have the exact same line to be compared. All that is
necessary is that their patrilineal lines intersect *at some point*. As I said,
the "rub" is in finding patrilineal lines to test. If there are none, then it
was a useless suggestion, and I've let my enthusiasm for DNA testing get the
better of me.

But if there were such a patrilineal (or matrilineal) line, either to royalty or
antiquity, I don't think you would find it difficult to get people to test
themselves to support the connection -- unless they're afraid of proving it
untrue. People are getting tested, now, for much lesser reasons, that is, just
to support their connection to their near kin or, in the case of
European-Americans, who are the ones doing the bulk of the testing, to connect
to their immigrant or to "cross the pond," with no royal or ancient connection
as an incentive. You don't have to pay for someone else's testing or compile
their pedigree to get results, unless you're in a hurry. Otherwise, you can
just wait.

Diana