RE: bridging the Dark Ages in Europe genealogically

Thank you, Joe. I'm very much the plodding, prove it step-by-step type of
genealogist, so I don't think I'll be adding this to my database, yet. The fact
that I've started six DNA projects is a measure of the fact that I want to my
family's pedigree to be firmly established (dare I say, "proven"?). As I said
earlier, *no one* can be certain they don't have an NPE, unless they get tested,
no matter how solid their paper genealogy.

The NPE rate in my projects is running about 10%, and these are mostly European
Americans trying to connect to their immigrant ancestor, who is going to be no
more than 10-15 generations back. The further back you try to connect, the more
generations there are available to have been an NPE. Some say the probability
is 1% per generation, and so far my projects bear that out. On the flip side,
90% of people are supporting genetically what they had compiled on paper.
There's no reason DNA testing can't work to support or debunk deep ancestries,
too. A "Medieval Lineages" project would be a fascinating one to run.

These lineage societies that have just been discussed would be the ideal basis
for such a project (or projects) by simply testing all their members -- and
henceforth requiring a test to gain membership. I wonder how many of those
members would be willing to put their membership at risk by being tested? Even
the D.A.R. has now embraced DNA testing.

Diana