Gascoigne of Sedbury

Back in early April, in one of his useful posts on descents of Yorkshire gentry from Joan Beaufort (and thus from Edward III), Brad Verity included this segment on the Gascoignes of Sedbury (a cadet line of Gawthorpe):

D4. Sir William Gascoigne (c.1450-1487); m. Margaret Percy
D5. Sir William Gascoigne, m. (1) Alice Frognall
D6. Henry Gascoigne, third son, m. Isabel Boynton of Sedbury
D7. Sir Henry Gascoigne of Sedbury (d. 1558) m. Margaret Cholmley
D8. Richard Gascoigne of Sedbury (d. 1605) m. Jane Norton
D9. Sir John Gascoigne of Sedbury
D10. Sir William Gascoigne of Sedbury (c. 1568-1643) m. Barbara Anderson
D11. Isabel Gascoigne of Sedbury m. 1611 Sir Marmaduke Wyvill, 2nd Baronet

The source for this, and specifically for generation D9, was the VCH for the North Riding of Yorkshire, which in turn cited Whitaker's Richmondshire and Hopkinson's MSS. In a recent trip to the FHL in Salt Lake City, I was able to check out the two sources cited by VCH. Actually, it turns out to be just one source, since Whitaker cites, and appears to quote verbatim, a pedigree of the Boyntons from the Hopkinson MSS. I say "appears to" because I could not locate the Gascoigne of Sedbury descent in the volume that the FHL has catalogued as the Hopkinson MSS, although both the Boynton and Gascoigne pedigrees there mention the marriage between the two families but do not carry the descent further than the marriage. So Whitaker probably got his Gascoigne descent from some place else (uncited) - and there are at least two key problems with his Gascoigne descent.

1) Whitaker says that the Henry Gascoigne who mar. Isabel Gascoigne of Sedbury was the son, not the grandson, of the Sir William Gascoigne who mar. Margaret Percy. I have seen this parentage for Henry in at least one other (unsourced) pedigree of the Gascoignes, but two separate visitation pedigrees (Flower 1563/4 and Glover 1584/5) shows Henry's parentage as that listed by Brad's note, which appears to be the generally accepted version.

2) Whitaker says that D9, Sir John Gascoigne, mar. Margaret, dau. of Sir Robert Skargill. But this generation does not appear in the Gascoigne of Sedbury pedigree in the Glover visitation, and Flower's visitation places this Sir John and his wife in a totally different branch, the Gascoignes descended from James G. of Cardington, Bedfordshire, a son by the 2nd marriage of Sir William G. the Chief Justice. I suspect that Whitaker (or his unnamed source) was confused in inserting this Sir John into the Sedbury pedigree.

Comments are welcomed....
.