Re: Westmorland High Sheriffs
- From: jonathan kirton <jonathankirton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:06:59 -0500
Further to my email yesterday, I have just realized that I wrongly
located one of the references to Gilbert de Kirketon at "c. 1357",
which should have read as "c. 1257".
The reference: "History of Westmorland & Cumberland" by Nicholson &
Burns, (1777), Volume 1, page 33, states:- "......Gilbert de Kirketon then
sheriff of Westmorland (that is, undersheriff to the then Robert de
The date of this event has to be after 1246, but before 1264, so we
can narrow it down to 1257, in which year the only possible Robert
de Vetripont did indeed become High Sheriff.
However, I am suspicious of this identification of Gilbert, because by
the year 1257 Gilbert de Kirketon of Screveton would have been at
least 72 years old. Thoroton shows him as an adult in 1207, holding
the gift of the Screveton Parish Church, so he could not have been
born any later than about 1185.
Perhaps Nicholson & Burn made an error and inserted Gilbert's name
instead of the name of his son, John de Kirketon ??
Jonathan Kirton .
- Prev by Date: Re: Margaret Greeke m. (1) William Butler, m. (2) William Mills, Clerk of the Star Chamber
- Next by Date: Re: Margaret Greeke m. (1) William Butler, m. (2) William Mills, Clerk of the Star Chamber
- Previous by thread: Re: Westmorland High Sheriffs
- Next by thread: Re: Re: Westmorland High Sheriffs