Re: Eudes la Zouche, senior and junior: a conjecture

Dear Douglas,

Thank you for replying. Sorry, but I am not certain which is your hypothesis
concerning Eudo. Is it the one posted by John?

You may have noticed in some of my posts that I study the Viponts and one
Ivo[in various forms], has not been, to my current knowledge, referred to
as Ivonet or Eudo, so I have been puzzled by the Knights reference to Eudo
la Zouche as Ivo or Ivonet. To be certain, we should see a primary reference
using the name Ivonet as Eudo la Zouche. That said, I would not consider
Ivonet to be a reference to a younger Eudo.

My question concerning Eudo's inheritance, I think, pivotal to a conclusion
about whether one or two existed.

1225 King Henry gave Beeston to Prince Edward.
Chester and Beeston were de Lacy strongholds and in 1240, John de Lacy was
governor of Chester and Beeston Castles.
1261 Monies from the Exchequer for Alan la Zusche, 50 marks, Eudo la Zusche,
30 marks and William la Zusche, 40 marks---all brothers, I believe.
1262--Chester, Beston and Shotwik, to Eudo la Zuche[I] brother of the said
Alan, without delay to keep in the name of the said Alan,justice of the
forest on this side Trent, until his arrival......
1263 William la Zuche apptd. justice of Chester by King.

How did the la Zouche family come into possession? It is implied that Alan
and the older Eudo simply held them.

I have found corroboration for William la Zuche, son of Alan in 1268. (CPR
H3).
We can trace the lands Elena de Quincy gave her son Oliver.
The confirmation to Maiden Bradley confirms Roger as the son of Alan.
However, I, as yet, have found no reference naming Eudo as the son of Alan
and Elena.

Pat