SS Weser or Wesser
- From: simonb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dr Shimon Barak)
- Date: 23 Jun 2007 10:02:40 -0700
Come to the
27th IAJGS International Conference
on Jewish Genealogy
Salt Lake City July 15-20, 2007 www.slc2007.org
I am presenting the forum with a mistery worthy of Sherlock Holmes.
As you most probably know the first settlers of Moises Ville, the agricultural colony situated in the North of the Province of Santa Fe, Argentina 616 km. from Buenos Aires, were a group of Russian Jewish colonists arriving in August 1889 aboard the SS Wesser from Kamenetz-Podolsk, Ukraine. Moises Ville is regarded as the first agricultural Jewish colony in South America and these 130 families (815 individuals) are the Argentinean equivalent to the Mayflower passengers.
They arrived to Buenos Aires aboard the steamship Weser on the 16th of August, 1889.
According to the data in the Internet (http://www.fortunecity.com/littleitaly/amalfi/13/ships.htm
there were at least 4 or maybe 5 ships named Wesser or Weser
(1) a.k.a. Peter Goddefroy was built in 1851 and lost in 1858 (stranded on the west coast of Ireland)
(2) was built in 1867 and served the Southampton-New York line from 1/6/1867 until 13/6/1895 when she was transferred to the Bremen - S.America service for two round voyages and later scrapped in 1896.
(3) (a.k.a. Vancouver Island) was built only in 1928
(4)was launched on 4/12/1858, but had to put back to Cork for repairs after being damaged by heavy seas. She sailed from Cork on 6th March 1859 and arrived in New York on 18th March. She started her third and last Bremen - Southampton - New York voyage on 1st July 1859, and became a French Naval Transport later the same year. On 16/1/1861 she was wrecked 60 miles from Poulo Condor, Cochin China.
So none of the ships could make the voyage!!
Dr Shimon Barak
Sender: Dr Shimon Barak <simonb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Thinking of visiting your ancestral shtetls?
Let JewishGen ShtetlSchleppers® take you there!
Sign up for the JGFFAlert!
Join our mailing list at http://lyris.jewishgen.org/listmanager if you
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
go to < http://lyris.jewishgen.org/ListManager >.
- Prev by Date: DURAN- MONTEFIORE: N. Africa - London - Kingston, Jamaica link established, 1849.
- Next by Date: Prof. Mikhail Abramovitz BARG 1915-1991
- Previous by thread: DURAN- MONTEFIORE: N. Africa - London - Kingston, Jamaica link established, 1849.
- Next by thread: Prof. Mikhail Abramovitz BARG 1915-1991