Alleged Killing of Bohemian Jewish Businessmen
- From: samorai@xxxxxxxxxx (Paul King)
- Date: 23 Jun 2007 09:47:55 -0700
Come to the
27th IAJGS International Conference
on Jewish Genealogy
Salt Lake City July 15-20, 2007 www.slc2007.org
Roger Adler seeks (22 June 2007), concerning "Jewish businessmen murdered in Bohemia" in 1847, a list of victims. I am not aware of multiple murders taking place and it would be helpful if a source were supplied. I do know that Jewish factories were attacked by mobs in 1844 and again in the Revolution of 1848 - this is documented, but there is no record of Jewish businessmen being killed. It surely would have been noted in the writings of William O. McCagg who stresses Judeophobia in Bohemia at this time or by Hillel Kieval who has written at length on a blood libel case.
Despite rising Czech nationalism at midcentury, Jews became prominent members of the Prague Chamber of Commerce in the 1850s and possibly in the following decade.
Sender: Paul King <samorai@xxxxxxxxxx>
Thinking of visiting your ancestral shtetls?
Let JewishGen ShtetlSchleppers® take you there!
Sign up for the JGFFAlert!
Join our mailing list at http://lyris.jewishgen.org/listmanager if you
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
go to < http://lyris.jewishgen.org/ListManager >.
- Prev by Date: GREENBERG Abraham - Rypin, USA
- Next by Date: DURAN- MONTEFIORE: N. Africa - London - Kingston, Jamaica link established, 1849.
- Previous by thread: GREENBERG Abraham - Rypin, USA
- Next by thread: DURAN- MONTEFIORE: N. Africa - London - Kingston, Jamaica link established, 1849.