cemetery in Granadora Baigorria, Argentina

Come to the
27th IAJGS International Conference
on Jewish Genealogy
Salt Lake City July 15-20, 2007 www.slc2007.org
In a message dated 04 June 2007, Wilhelm Vleeshhouwer wrote:
"My wife and I, came acros this cemetery during our travels in Argentina. We could not get in, it was locked. It is a small cemetery, cramped into a corner of a Catholic one, with walls around it. It seems the people who made use of it, were expelled from the city of Rosario, because they belonged to Zvi Migdal. I do not know waht that means."

The Zvi Migdal Society was a Jewish organization that controlled brothels in many countries. They deluded young Jewish girls from poor families in Eastern Europe, specially from the shtetls in Poland and Russia, in order to force them into prostitution in South America (Argentina and Brazil). Here, they had their own cemetery, synagogue and even rabbi, because they were refused by the local Jewish community. It lasted for a century: from the 1860´s until 1960´s.

My father tells that around 1915 he lived in the city of Salvador, Bahia, Brazil where there was no Zvi Migdal. Dad´s older brothers, as well as other Jewish men and women, used to go to the port to wait for ships coming from Europe -- they would look for young jewish girls travelling alone, and they would try to convince the girls to leave the ship in that point of the trip, saving them from sexual slavery. Salvador was the first port in South America, before going to Rio de Janeiro, Santos, and Buenos Aires, where the Zvi Migdal was active. When the girl accepted to interrupt the trip, she was taken to the home of one of the jewish local families, including my grandmother´s home.

I knew personally one of these women saved by my family from sexual slavery. I also know the children and grandchildren of two of those other women who were enslaved.

Eliana Aizim
from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
aizim@xxxxxxxxxx

visit my GUREVICH photo album:
http://www.geocities DOT com/elianaaizim/photo2.html

Researching:
AISEN, AIZEN, AISIN: Ukraine: Lugansk /Argentina / Brazil;
GUREVICH: Ukraine: Yuzovka / USA / Brazil: Rio;
VATNICK: Ukraine: Peschanka / Brazil: Rio;
VATNICK > WHITE, SUGARMAN: Canada: Toronto
AVERBUCH: Ukraine: Zhabokrich / Brazil: Colônia Quatro
Irmãos, Baron Hirsch / Rio de Janeiro.

---
Sender: "Eliana Aizim" <aizim@xxxxxxxxxx>
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
go to < http://lyris.jewishgen.org/ListManager >.

  • Re: Bibi gets dragged to the woodshed
    ... Jerusalem is a Jewish possession, a capitol of the Jewish faith since ... and it has no place outside the city gates of Mecca. ... that is made right, and the Medina synagogue is rebuilt, then Muslims ... people to settle the oasis of Medina were the tribe of Banu Matraweel ...
    (misc.writing)
  • You were a frightened child, Richard, and you didnt want to know
    ... Richard Cohen is Jewish. ... suicide venue of the city, ... We had to do something about Hussein. ... We ran a railroad through Iran and into the Soviet Union during WWII ...
    (alt.politics.bush)
  • Holy Days in Israel (Naomi Ragen)
    ... Jewish community in New York, ... places, synagogues, and large congregations of religious Jews. ... I never heard the silence of a whole city, ... was totally involved in preparing for a Jewish holiday. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: NYC: Matzo Brei-Off!!
    ... the The Greatest (Jewish) City that is also home to the Cuisine ... mean matzo brei, a fried mix of eggs and the unleavened bread eaten ... European Jews emigrated to America and settled in New York City, ... YORK.."The people of New York are proud of their state and proud to be ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Where was Benjamin BELKIND from? ("m Borisow")
    ... When I first located the Ellis Island manifest of my great-grandfather Benjamin BELKIND, I saw that his city of birth was given as "m Borisow" This set me back, because his son had Hyman said in a 1966 tape recorded interview that *both* Benjamin & Benjamin's father were born in Boguslaw, Ukraine, some 60 miles SSE of Kiev. ... It isn't noted on Shtetlseeker as a town with a Jewish community, but there are other "Jewish" towns nearby, such as Shepetovksuch, Ostroh, Rivne/Rovno, et cetera. ...
    (soc.genealogy.jewish)