Gersh / Gershon
- From: SKatz@xxxxxxxxxx (Shlomo Katz)
- Date: 26 Apr 2007 19:03:11 -0700
Come to the
27th IAJGS International Conference
on Jewish Genealogy
Salt Lake City July 15-20, 2007 www.slc2007.org
Because Russian has no letter "H", "Hersch" would have been "Gersh". I
have seen this in records from the Ukraine relating to my family such as
the 1906 Duma Voters List on the JewishGen website. This is a different
name than Gerson.
Silver Spring MD
From: Joy Weaver <joyweave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:37:10 GMT
The question about the names Hirsh and Ziv reminded me of something I've
been(now in Belarus) area, there are entries for the surname DAJBOG for two men:
Gersh, son of Isaac, age 39 and Gershon-Wolf, son of Isaac, age 23.
What is the likelihood that these two men are brothers? Is it more
likely that both men had fathers named Isaac who were possibly cousins
named for the same man? DAJBOG is such an uncommon name that it's hard
to believe they'd be totally unrelated. Or are Gersh and Gershon two
Sender: "Shlomo Katz" <SKatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Thinking of visiting your ancestral shtetls?
Let JewishGen ShtetlSchleppers® take you there!
Sign up for the JGFFAlert!
Join our mailing list at http://lyris.jewishgen.org/listmanager if you
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
go to < http://lyris.jewishgen.org/ListManager >.
- Prev by Date: RE: LDS films in Israel
- Next by Date: Viewmate 9865 - Birth Certificate Yanchel Sloime (later Jack Rosenfield) 1887, Iasi, Romania
- Previous by thread: Orsola NIKLICH - from Chelm?
- Next by thread: Viewmate 9865 - Birth Certificate Yanchel Sloime (later Jack Rosenfield) 1887, Iasi, Romania