- From: mmschejtman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (M&MSchejtman)
- Date: 14 Feb 2007 10:02:17 -0800
Come to the
27th IAJGS International Conference
on Jewish Genealogy
Salt Lake City July 15-20, 2007 www.slc2007.org
There are many names in "new Hebrew" that are chosen because they sound
Tom which means innocence
Netaly which means my seedling or plant etc.
We had enough problems finding good Hebrew names for our kids that will be
accepted and not be mangled by our South American family.
So any name with a pronounced V wouldn't work, (Avigail, Aviel), and a boy's
name like Eran, which is very common, is out, since it means they are, in
Spanish. Also names that are spelled in English with a J - like Jordan wouldn't
work because of the way J is pronounced in Spanish.
We do have a problem with my middle child's name -Stav. There is never an S as a
first letter in Spanish, so her little cousins call her Estav, which drives her
Sender: M&MSchejtman <mmschejtman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Thinking of visiting your ancestral shtetls?
Let JewishGen ShtetlSchleppers® take you there!
Sign up for the JGFFAlert!
Join our mailing list at http://lyris.jewishgen.org/listmanager if you
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
go to < http://lyris.jewishgen.org/ListManager >.
- Prev by Date: Jewish Sanitarium for Chronics and Incurables - Brooklyn - update
- Next by Date: Re: Point of Embarkation for Romanian
- Previous by thread: Jewish Sanitarium for Chronics and Incurables - Brooklyn - update
- Next by thread: George Benjamin SIRKIN & Bertha Ruth HARRIS