Re: Schneidermuhl (Poland)

Thinking of visiting your ancestral shtetls?
Let JewishGen ShtetlSchleppers® take you there!
Krojanke (now Krajenka) was in Pomerania before WW II, but only just barely--not until 1938 was its county (Flatow) assigned to Pomerania. Since 1922 it had been part of the "Grenzmark Posen-Westpreussen", literally "Posen-West-Prussia-border region", effectively "the bits that didn't get assigned to Poland". The same is true for Schneidemuehl (now Pila).

Before 1922, Krojanke belonged to the province of Westpreussen (West Prussia); and Schneidemuehl, to Posen.

LDS has lots of Krojanke records up to 1863. None for Schneidemuehl that I could find; but the Pila branch of the Polish State Archives in Poznan seems to have BMD 1842-1920. (Fond 12, sig. 12) I'd like to hear from anyone who's actually seen these. Needless to say, whoever indexes and/or transcribes these records will be a hero!

A request to all of you: when writing Polish names, it's OK to drop the various diacritical marks, such as the slash through the L in Pila. (Most Polish search engines prefer that you either drop all of them or keep all of them.)

But: it's different with German! The umlaut, i.e., two dots over an A, O, or U, may not be welcome on many email systems--this one, for instance--but should not simply be dropped. Instead, replace it with a trailing E:

Muenchen, not Munchen

Schneidemuehl, not Schneidemuhl

Graetz, not Gratz

Loewenstein, not Lowenstein.

Simply omitting the umlaut can lead to embarrassing misunderstandings in German, not just unsatisfactory search results. The e-for-umlaut substitution is universally valid and accepted orthography.

Thanks to all!

Roger Lustig
Princeton, NJ
researching Upper Silesia and Prussian Poland in general

Nick wrote:
"Miriam Margolyes" <75342.3217@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
Has anyone indexed the Schneidermuhl records?
I find that my SANDMAN family came from neighbouring
Krojanke & would like to track them down.

Is it possibly worth noting that Krojanke was in Germany pre-WWII and is in the area known as Pommerania - my ancestors also came from there, but I don't really have any more information than that.
Sender: Roger Lustig <julierog@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sign up for the JGFFAlert!
Join our mailing list at if you
would like the convenience of receiving all soc.genealogy.jewish posts in
your mailbox, instead of having to search for them in the newsgroup, whose
go to < >.