Surname spelling

I use Family Tree Maker to store my 'family' details and am in a quandary as
to how to present surnames. My main interest is in the Playdon name and, of
course, over the years it has changed from Pladen/Pladon in Chipping Campden
and sometimes Pleaden/Pleadon and so on until the spelling that my relatives
use. My question is: Should I show their names as the incumbent wrote it at
the time of the child's christening or use the surname as it is shown in
later censuses? I do realise that many people had no idea how to spell
their names but when the names change through various generations it is hard
to keep trace of them via the computer programme. Any suggestions, please?

Noreen

  • Re: Surname spelling
    ... to how to present surnames. ... I don't know about Family Tree Maker, but Legacy allows you to enter a variety ... He had a fight with his father and changed the spelling to Greene, ...
    (soc.genealogy.britain)
  • RE: Question about surname convention on a family tree
    ... I use an older version of Family Tree Maker, and there is a method to use ... were surnames in a genealogical program. ... Start by using the "Ancestry Search Box" ... Jewishgen receiving a commission. ...
    (soc.genealogy.jewish)
  • Family Tree Maker 2011
    ... For some years I have been using Family Tree Maker 2006 to store my family ... information, however, last year I purchased FTM 2010 and tried that on my ... worth purchasing. ...
    (soc.genealogy.britain)
  • Re: TreeView question
    ... currently i have created a linkedlist that will store and display ... i need to now create a binary tree that will store ... surnames. ... so i can enter the surname 'Jones' into the tree, ...
    (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc)
  • Combo Box Help
    ... In one I'll have surnames, and in the other names, E.G. ... I need a combo box to display surnames, then the other I want to ... display the names acording to the surname, and finally I want to store ... the code in Cell B15 ...
    (microsoft.public.excel)