Douglas Ditton starts work at the Post Office

"Occasional Visitor" <visitor@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
<mardicar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On May 14, 10:02 pm, James Dempster <talksinsenten...@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2009 18:30:06 -0700 (PDT), mardi...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thomas Ditton told his son that he changed his name by "letters
patent" probably 1920-1924. If this were true, where would I look to
find information or a copy of the legalities? I am leaving no stone
unturned!

Could the name change have been due to a "name and arms" clause in a
will? If in England, the process there is to obtain a Royal Licence
for the change and then to have the arms recorded by the College of
Arms - which issues Letters Patent.

The London Gazette should have notice of the Royal Licence.

James

You mean someone would change their name to get a coat of arms? I'm
not aware that that occurred, but who knows!

www.gazettes-online.co.uk

London Gazette Issue 41579 published on the 19 December 1958. Page 41

[snip]

Gazette Issue 34395 published on the 7 May 1937. Page 26

April 8, 1937

Without Competition

Male Sorting Clerks and Telegraphists,
Leonard William Colton (Scunthorpe),
Douglas Arnold Belcher Ditton (Staines),
Robert Drummond (Dunfermline), William
Richardson Mosely (Walton-on-Thames and
Weybridge), Norman Roy Parkman (Chertsey,
Walton-on-Thames and Weybridge),
Roger Porter (Wokingham), Charles Keith
Proctor (Buxton),

.