Re: Older fathers

Ian Goddard wrote in reply to my:

Do any of you feel that a similar message comes from your genealogical
researches?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2059130/Scientists-reveal-dangers-of--older-fathers.html

That would be unlikely. It requires a larger sample than most
genealogists would get from recent generations and the effect probably
wouldn't be prominent amongst earlier generations where other causes of
early mortality would mask it.
<snip>

Yes, you are probably right. I study a group of parishes pre-1750, so I may
have a different perspective - but, as you say, other causes of early
mortality would be likely to mask the effect.

I observed not so long ago, in chatting with somone about the morality of
IVF treatment for older women, that we are socially accustomed to men having
children at a late age through second or third marriages. This is, of
course, a different moral issue; but, still, intrigued me in the light of
that discussion.

Chris

.