Re: "Thanks Giving" ???

Marcus Streets wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

In message <QqmdnQdRWcm0mwfanZ2dnUVZ_rWtnZ2d@xxxxxxx>, singhals <singhals@xxxxxxxxx> writes

Sometime between Guy Fawkes Day and Christmas Day ... a nephew who was in England (near London) in that time period reports that the shops were full of Thank You cards. He was told that one was to give such a card to anyone who had done him a service during the past year; he was further told that this was called Thanks Giving.

It is an American tradition in late Nov that involves eating as much turkey dinner as you can in the shortest possible time. I think your friend found the London shops that cater for the US ex-pat community.

Thanksgiving is the harvest supper - which was then moved later in the year to mark the start of the Christmas Season.

I believe that Canadians still celebrate it on the original date.

I've never thought of the British Harvest Festival as "coinciding" with the American (or Canadian) Thanksgiving, but I suppose that's what it is.

The Harvest Festivals I've been involved in (in my own or my sons' schools as a member of the congretation and giver of bread and tins of soup) has always been in September. Some might call it Thanksgiving but I've never heard it referred to as that.

We don't have a big meal or a family celebration. It's mainly a festival held in schools for the children by the children.

  • Re: "Thanks Giving" ???
    ... Sometime between Guy Fawkes Day and Christmas Day ... ... England (near London) in that time period reports that the shops were ...
    (soc.genealogy.britain)
  • Re: "Thanks Giving" ???
    ... in England in that time period reports that the shops were full of Thank You cards. ... I think your friend found the London shops that cater for the US ex-pat community. ...
    (soc.genealogy.britain)
  • Re: "Thanks Giving" ???
    ... in England in that time period reports that the shops were full of Thank You cards. ... He was told that one was to give such a card to anyone who had done him a service during the past year; he was further told that this was called Thanks Giving. ... I think your friend found the London shops that cater for the US ex-pat community. ...
    (soc.genealogy.britain)
  • Re: "Thanks Giving" ???
    ... in England in that time period reports that the shops were full of Thank You cards. ... Or is this a custom I'd not heard of in England? ... Card shops do sell all sorts of cards for no particular time of the year, such as thank you cards, new home cards, pass-your-exam cards, etc. ...
    (soc.genealogy.britain)
  • Re: The things to see and do in London
    ... of things that would be everybody's first choice. ... The traditional cheap London eateries were the East End eel pie shops, ... Of course, as a major city, there's always big touring bands ...
    (alt.usage.english)