Re: Opinion Wanted, Please

In message <2d7883hrge8i5tv99p5fkpsq8tg4b2310j@xxxxxxx>
Charles Ellson <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 20:26:59 +0100, Graeme Wall
<Graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In message <6sv7839bpiv2igcdb01mp2nrpubldklelr@xxxxxxx>
Phil C. <philstoxicwaste@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:52:00 +0100, Graeme Wall
<Graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In message <4683d5ad$0$12383$426a74cc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
john <jfu-675h@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

His occupation is "pressman at oilcake mills" so, if he was a
carter a few years later, it is unlikely to be the same person.

Doesn't follow at all, the mill could have closed down, or he was ill
and got sacked. A carter is a relatively unskilled occupation that
he could have picked up in such circumstances.

Or he could have had more than one job. A worker at the oilcake mills
may also have done some carting for them when the need arose?

Of course, but on a census is more likely to give his main occupation.

I've yet to see an entry on the lines of "Occupation X but usually/also
employed in occupation Y" so it's possibly more accurate to say that the
census shows whatever he was doing for a living during that week if e.g. he
alternated between regular "summer" and "winter" jobs.

Given the census was always the same time of year, you wouldn't be able to
spot seasonal variations unfortunately. Might pick them up from children's
births and marriages.

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website:
<http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/index.html>

  • Re: Opinion Wanted, Please
    ... carter a few years later, it is unlikely to be the same person. ... A worker at the oilcake mills ... but on a census is more likely to give his main occupation. ...
    (soc.genealogy.britain)
  • Re: Opinion Wanted, Please
    ... His occupation is "pressman at oilcake mills" so, if he was a carter a ... A carter is a relatively unskilled occupation that he could have ... Perfumer in a soap factory in the next, ...
    (soc.genealogy.britain)
  • Re: Opinion Wanted, Please
    ... carter a few years later, it is unlikely to be the same person. ... A worker at the oilcake mills ... but on a census is more likely to give his main occupation. ...
    (soc.genealogy.britain)
  • Re: Opinion Wanted, Please
    ... carter a few years later, it is unlikely to be the same person. ... but on a census is more likely to give his main occupation. ... I see no conflict in a change of occupation from a being a "pressman at oilcake mills" to being a carter, in fact he could have become a carter for the same mill, preferring the outdoor life to one pervaded by dust and the smell of linseed. ...
    (soc.genealogy.britain)
  • Re: Occupations related to brand names
    ... term occupation is intended to mean *in that specific context*. ... In my part of the world the domestic system of cloth production was a dominant industry in the C18th and there was an accepted local term of "clothier". ... In the early days of the census the preferred vocabulary seems to have been "Manufacturer of woollen cloth" but this could include a clothier or a factory owner. ... Does the fact than my ggfather described himself as a farmer in 1861 mean that he had changed trades between then and 1871 or does it mean that he was following both trades all along and that one happened to dominate in one census and the other at the next? ...
    (soc.genealogy.britain)