DPM (i.e. Don Moody) - Lost Post
- From: japhilip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ("JAPhilip")
- Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 01:26:03 +0000 (UTC)
For information ...
Yesterday I subscribed to the Rootsweb GENBRIT list in order to post a
single post about the Don Moody saga.
I intended to unsubscribe immediately it appeared.
However, it did not appear - and I received a message from the ListAdmin
advising that it had been caught in a filter.
It still has not appeared.
I will attempt to post the gist of the lost post.
The gist of my lost post follows ...
Every so often
- a 'new' person ('new', that is, relative to the hard core of longterm
- posts to the Rootsweb GENBRIT list or to the newsgroup
soc.genealogy.britain (they are gatewayed)
- expressing concern at having received an abusive personal email
- out of the blue
- from a person variously referred to as Don Moody, DP Moody, Dr DP Moody
(I will use the initials DPM)
A courteous, simple and helpful reaction would surely be for other posters
(especially longterm posters) to reassure the 'new' poster who has received
an abusive personal email from DPM that
- this is a long-standing problem
- it is regularly raised on the mailing list/newsgroup
- many have experienced it
- the best thing to do is to delete the abusive email and, if the poster
wishes now that he/she has experienced the problem, block future emails from
- the abusive email could be forwarded to the abuse section of DPM's
provider if the recipient wishes to take such action.
And, if certain posters wish, they could (for information) comment that
- DPM is a past poster (no longer active) on the mailing list/newsgroup and
his posts can be found in the archives
- DPM currently communicates privately with them in a way which they
personally find polite and helpful.
Instead, the usual consequence of each report from a concerned 'new' poster
is that a small group of longterm posters turns on him/her and on other
posters (especially on posters who confirm that abusive personal emails sent
out of the blue to GENBRIT/soc./genealogy.britain posters are indeed a
problem - and a well-known and recurrent problem). The thread then develops
a life of its own and the OP is lost sight of.
A few people who apparently receive acceptable emails from DPM and/or who
know him personally
- deny the existence of the DPM problem
- heap opprobium and abuse on posters who have received abusive personal
emails from DPM
- quote DPM's academic qualifications (people with impressive academic
qualifications can and do write abusive personal emails)
- make statements about DPM's current physical or mental state (a breach of
Surely this small group does not seriously believe that every single poster
who has reported receipt of an abusive personal email from DPM is either a
liar or a person who cannot take the normal cut and thrust of the Internet.
Surely this small group is not seriously asserting that longterm poster -
the ever rational and reasonable and courteous and helpful (recently, in
regard to DPM, under much provocation) - Jill Bowis is lying when she
What is written in the private mails is seriously abusive, lies, threats,
and malicious vitriol
I intend to take the liberty of collating and posting some of Jill's
comments on the DPM matter.