- From: "Eric Hartup" <ehartup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:13:28 GMT
I attach below a copy of my email to the Office of National Statistics. I
feel very upset that they are not checking that they are sending a relevant
certificate. This is pure unadulterated inefficiency.
Birth Certificate for Olwen Mair Jones born 1st January 1910
Forenames could be:- Mair Olwen, Olwen Mary or Olwen Maria although she was
known as Olwen Mair, but birth date is DEFINITELY 1st January 1910.
1. On 18th March 2005 I requested a birth certificate, Ref COL632292/2005
for:- Surname JONES, Forenames at birth MAIR OLWEN. Date of birth
01/01/1910, Fathers Surname JONES Year 1910, Qtr March, District
Llandilofawr, Vol 11a page 1343. The certificate received was for a Mair
Olwen born to William And Mary Jones on 3rd February 1910. No-one seems to
have read the form which states quite clearly the birth date.
2. I have a copy of her marriage certificate dated 27th December between
John Charles Evans and Olwen Maria Jones, spinster age 19 with one amendment
where Maria has been crossed through and Mair inserted. The amendment has
been initialled in the margin by H.T (Hugh Thomas, Vicar). GRO Ref Year
1930, Qtr Dec, District Bridgend, Vol 11a page 1492.
3. On 10th March 2006 I requested a birth certificate, Ref COL230226/2006
for:- Surname JONES, Forenames at birth OLWEN. Date of birth 01/01/1910,
Fathers Surname JONES Father's Forename SAMUEL Year 1910, Qtr March,
District Bedwelty, Vol 11a page 135. The certificate received was for Olwen
Mary born to David and Mary Jane Jones on 19th January 1910. Again, no-one
seems to have read the form which states quite clearly the birth date and
the father's forename!
4. What further information do I have to give to obtain the correct birth
certificate? As I have no way to see the copy of the certificate it is like
'looking for a pig in a poke'. As the family name is Jones, the person is
born in Wales and is now deceased I realise that there could be many
variations on the name but the date of birth is known. Why are the
certificates not checked before despatch and accepting the fee?
5. I look forward to a rational explanation for the errors and failure to
supply the correct document. This has cost me £14 so far.
6. Perhaps I should add that I worked in Nationality & Treaty Department in
the Foreign Office in Births, Marriages and Deaths Section and was trained
as a Consular Officer.
Eric R Hartup
- Prev by Date: Re: Jewish or Not Jewish
- Next by Date: Re: Samuel Lockett
- Previous by thread: 1861 census lookup
- Next by thread: RE: O.N.S.