Opposing Robert Mugabe is now 'treason' in Zimbabwe

Opposing Robert Mugabe is now 'treason' in Zimbabwe

The Times
June 13, 2008

Jan Raath in Harare

The crackdown on the Opposition in Zimbabwe intensified yesterday with the
arrest of its deputy leader on the charge of treason, as he arrived back in
the country from a week-long trip to South Africa.

Tendai Biti, the secretary-general of the Movement for Democratic Change
(MDC), was met at Harare airport by five plainclothes officers who
handcuffed him and led him to an unknown police station.

The police said that Mr Biti was to be charged with publishing a "treasonous
document" outlining MDC plans to return all land seized from white farmers
and to dismiss all members of the military and police service if it won the
presidential election at the end of this month. If found guilty, he could be
sentenced to death.

The MDC dismissed the letter as a fake manufactured by the Zimbabwe
intelligence services, recalling the purported letter between the MDC leader
Morgan Tsvangirai and Gordon Brown that the British Embassy denounced as a
"crude hoax" last month.

Mr Biti is also charged with "communicating statements prejudicial to the
State" for announcing Mr Tsvangirai's win in the March 29 election with 50.3
per cent of the vote. The vote, reduced to 48 per cent in the official
results, would have given him an outright victory in the presidential
contest against Robert Mugabe.
Independent election observers said that the final results were not
credible, but African observers signed off on the vote. At the time the
Government said Mr Biti had illegally announced the results.

Mr Biti's arrest came hours before Mr Tsvangirai was detained for a third
time in a week as he attempted to campaign for the presidential election
run-off against Mr Mugabe, due two weeks from today. Police in Kwekwe
stopped Mr Tsvangirai's American-style campaign bus at a roadblock and took
his entourage to a local police station. His team presented the bus,
emblazoned with the slogan "Morgan is the one", only a day earlier as a new
tactic in the fight to remain visible on the campaign trail.

He was released a few hours later without charge, only to be arrested again
by another group of policemen. "Our vehicles were searched. It's just
harassment, but we will be continuing with our campaign tomorrow," George
Sibotshiwe, an MDC spokesman, said after Mr Tsvangirai was released last
night for the second time.

Mr Tsvangirai has been prevented from holding a single rally since returning
to Harare from self-imposed exile nearly three weeks ago, despite a court
order affirming his right to do so. He has drawn ecstatic crowds at
impromptu meetings at village shops, bus stops, wells and roadsides.

His detentions came amid a wave of new arrests and raids and yet another
killing of an opposition supporter, bringing the MDC death toll to 67. "It's
incomprehensible," said a Western diplomat. "They are going all out to
destroy the MDC and anyone else around them so they can't fight the
election. Why do they bother to hold an election at all?"

The MDC said that on Tuesday unknown men shot dead the brother of one of its
councillors in the Musana district, about 60km (35 miles) east of Harare,
apparently confusing him with the councillor. In Karoi, 200km north of
Harare, the home of Blessing Chebundo, the MDC MP and national executive
member, was burnt down on Wednesday morning. "Several of my relatives were
injured," he said. "My eight-year-old son is missing. I reported him to the
police, but I don't expect they will do anything."

In the past few days, police have raided the offices of civil society and
pro-democracy groups, many of which receive funding from the United States
and Britain. One was a voluntary medical organisation cataloguing and
treating the flood of injuries inflicted by ruling party militias since the
March election. It has since been forced to turn victims away.

The US Embassy confirmed yesterday that a convoy carrying American food aid
for school children had been hijacked by state security forces and "war
veterans" and distributed to supporters of the ruling Zanu (PF) Party at an
election rally.

Paul Engelstad, an embassy spokesman, said that the load of grain, beans and
cooking oil was being carried by a lorry belonging to Catholic Relief
Services when it was stopped in the eastern province of Manicaland by an
army colonel who ordered the driver to take it to a nearby police station.
"The governor instructed the war veterans to distribute the food to Zanu
PF," Mr Engelstad said. "We are very concerned about the lawlessness."

  • Mugabes brutality to force election victory is revealed
    ... The Zimbabwean army and police have been accused of setting up torture camps and organising "re-education meetings" involving unspeakable cruelty where voters are beaten and mutilated in the hope of achieving victory for President Robert Mugabe in the second round of the presidential election. ... The authors, who interviewed more than 70 witnesses to the violence, identify senior military officials and police officers who were "inciting and organising" the fightback, confirming the army's role in orchestrating the brutality after a senior Western diplomat said that the country was now being run by a military "junta" grouped in the Joint Operations Command. ... Many of the camps at which MDC supporters, or perceived opposition supporters, are beaten and mutilated are located on army bases. ...
    (soc.culture.zimbabwe)
  • Run-off election special report I: Violence all over the country
    ... Run-off election special report I: ... Harare Tribune Correspondents ... Zimbabwe, Harare – It is exactly 7 days before the run-off election on ... The finding dovetails with assessments of the true support for the MDC ...
    (soc.culture.zimbabwe)
  • Chris Dhlamini - MDC Security Chiefs ordeal at the hands of Mugabes men - LONG
    ... I am a Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) member. ... When I went to the gate, I saw a police officer who, although he refused to identify himself to me at my request, I have previously known as Superintendent Tenderere. ... I was driven along Harare Drive, via Marlborough, Borrowdale, Chisipite, up to Jaggers Msasa, and then up and into Goromonzi police station. ...
    (soc.culture.zimbabwe)
  • Opposition activists teargassed, beaten
    ... capital, Harare, after a local magistrate overruled a police order banning ... Lungile Ncube, of the opposition Movement for Democratic Change, who ... The MDC faction led by Morgan Tsvangirai had announced the 'Freedom Walk' ... The opposition appealed against the ban at the Harare magistrate's court, ...
    (soc.culture.zimbabwe)
  • POLITICAL VIOLENCE REPORT
    ... A report by the Zimbabwe Human Rights NGO Forum ... The MDC also demonstrated against the ... Earlier in the month the police had imposed a ban on all "political ... More than 40 students were reportedly arrested after protesting against ...
    (soc.culture.zimbabwe)