Re: Mugabe's shameful apologists: African Union, etc

yared22311@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]
>governments, such as Zimbabwe's, that were undermining the continent's
>credibility in the eyes of the world." The U.N. secretary-general
>emphasized: "What is lacking on the continent is [a willingness] to
>comment on wrong policies in a neighboring country." But in the same
>article, Olusegun Obasanjo, president of Nigeria and presently the
>chairman of the African Union, defiantly said he would "not be a part"
>of any public condemnation of Mr. Mugabe.
> Moreover, as The New York Times reported on July 6: "Tanzania,
>Namibia and Zambia are among those [African nations] that have praised
>Mr. Mugabe's economic policies in recent months," or even more
>appallingly, "have stopped protesters from criticizing them." Also
>insistently silent on the rampant ferocity of the Mugabe regime is
>Thabo Mbeki, president of South Africa, who has long claimed he is
>pursuing "quiet diplomacy" in his dealings with Mr. Mugabe.
> His "diplomacy" is so quiet that its alleged results have not
>reached these black citizens in Harare described in the June 11 issue
>of The Economist, after the government obliterated their neighborhood:
>"A barefoot widow and her two children stand in the ruins of their
>shack, their meager belongings gathered under plastic sheets... they
>now sleep in the open with nothing to protect them from Harare's bitter
>cold. With tears in her eyes and a broken voice, she shows a lease and
>receipts for rents she has paid. "I have nowhere to go," she laments."
>(Mr. Mugabe says the demolitions have ended, but the government has
>said that before. In any case, he is again responsible for ruthless
>crimes against his own people.)
> They have also been abandoned by the justly venerated Nelson
>Mandela, who has marred his autumnal years by refusing to say a word in
>criticism of Mr. Mugabe. I asked an African, a longtime human-rights
>worker concerning the continent, why Mr. Mandela will not speak, when
>his condemnation of this horrifying injustice would, should he offer
>it, reverberate around the world.
> The human-rights worker replied that Mr. Mandela still sees Mr.
>Mugabe "as a liberator of his nation in the long, bitter struggle on
>the continent in which so many, including Mandela, suffered so much. He
>will not condemn this man." Jean-Claude Shanda Tonme of Cameroon, a
>consultant on international law, wrote in the July 15 New York Times:
>"What is at issue is an Africa where dictators kill, steal and usurp
>power yet are treated like heroes at meetings of the African Union."
> What will debt relief for (some of) these rulers do for the widow
>and her two children in Harare who have no place to go? Their condition
>cannot be reported in Zimbabwe's two largest, independent and
>best-selling newspapers, the Daily News and the Sunday Daily News. Now
>silent, their licenses to publish remain denied by Mr. Mugabe.
> Once again, the African Union, like the United Nations, has been

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!! Better than the circus when the acrobat falls
off.

Grantland

  • Mugabes shameful apologists: African Union, etc
    ... Many more black citizens of Zimbabwe -- who have suffered for years ... such neighborhoods voted against Mr. Mugabe in the last ... "indifference to human suffering" has been caused by "a disastrous ... yesterday urged African leaders to break their silence over actions by ...
    (soc.culture.african)
  • Mugabes shameful apologists: African Union, etc
    ... Many more black citizens of Zimbabwe -- who have suffered for years ... such neighborhoods voted against Mr. Mugabe in the last ... "indifference to human suffering" has been caused by "a disastrous ... yesterday urged African leaders to break their silence over actions by ...
    (soc.culture.african.american)
  • Mugabes shameful apologists: African Union, etc
    ... Many more black citizens of Zimbabwe -- who have suffered for years ... such neighborhoods voted against Mr. Mugabe in the last ... "indifference to human suffering" has been caused by "a disastrous ... yesterday urged African leaders to break their silence over actions by ...
    (soc.culture.zimbabwe)
  • Mugabe Comes Out of Dictators -- and Racists -- Closet
    ... Rogue President, After 28 Years in Power, Is Not Just Another Thug ... Zimbabwe's rogue president, Robert Mugabe, has finally exposed himself ... runoff election denounced by African observers and much of the world ... the African Union to send troops into Zimbabwe and labeled Mugabe "a ...
    (soc.culture.zimbabwe)
  • African leaders must condemn Mugabe
    ... African leaders must condemn Mugabe ... AFRICAN Union leaders who met their European Union counterparts at the ... Development this year and the whole AU boycotted a 2003 summit with the EU ...
    (soc.culture.zimbabwe)