Re: Schools out!

So true. It seems as though respect has gone out with the arc here.
Although ideologically opposed to private education (in England the private
schools are for the cream of England - the thick and the rich) I realised
that in Sydney there must be a reason that 35% (and growing) of kids go to
private schools. Our daughter goes to one and although not super strict,
the fundamentals of living with other people are observed.

My daughter went to my old primary school in England for the day recently
while we were on holiday. Not only did no one stand when the principal come
into the room, but no one greeted him. At my daughter's school in Sydney
the principal can't move without kids greeting her by name. Simple manners
make a big difference.

As for the respect for people, king, Buddha etc taught in Thailand - we
could do with a lot more of that here. Even in busy Hong Kong, where we
spent a few days on our way back from England, there is a level of civility
that is sadly lacking in Australia - politeness, respect for elders, respect
for public property etc.