Low quality pap candidates

http://onesingaporean.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/tin-pei-ling-vs-chen-show-mao-and-a-very-scary-thought/
Despite what Lim Boon Heng, that minister who has been without a portfolio
for some 15 years, has said, the PAP?s slate of new candidates are a dud. At
least as far as I am concerned. I can?t remember any time in the past where
the scraping of the barrel by the PAP was so pathetic.

And the signs are already there. Of course, the media is sugar-coating the
dud candidates the PAP is selling. Desmond Choo? Desmond Lee? Tin Pei Ling?
Seriously? When one starts to talk about one?s own sob story in order to
gain sympathy, you can be sure the barrel is really empty.

But there is a serious issue here which Singaporeans must consider and
consider very seriously indeed.

And it is this: With a complicit and compliant media, these duds are being
sold and marketed as people with the genuine stuff. And riding piggyback on
senior members into Parliament. This itself is ironic. I mean, if they have
the genuine stuff, why would they need to coattail on others?

I am really concerned that someone like Tin Pei Ling, whom I presume hasn?t
had even 10-years of working experience, is going into Parliament via the
easy and convenient back door.

At the same time, someone like Chen Show Mao may not be in Parliament at
all. Chen is expected to be on the WP ticket for the elections. The man?s
credentials are second to none ? studied at Harvard, Oxford, Stanford,
Rhodes scholar, fluently bilingual, and with experience in international
mergers and acquisitions, and he also sits on the advisory board of the
Singapore Management University.

PAP's Tin Pei Ling - not even 10 years of working experience

Now, Tin Pei Ling and Chen Show Mao. Which do you think should be in
Parliament? I mean, seriously.

Tin Pei Ling is a dime a dozen. You can probably scrap some of her ilk off
the sidewalks at Orchard Road.

Chen, on the other hand, is what the PAP would crave for ? and indeed, badly
needs.

Yet, the truth and reality is that Tin Pei Ling will get into Parliament,
while Chen Show Mao may not.

Every opposition party?s new candidates have to go through the baptism of
fire in a contest at every election. Chiam See Tong fought twice before
winning, and since then, he?s had to fight each of the six elections ? and
win them all. A total of 8 elections.

Low Thia Khiang too had to fight 5 General Elections ? losing his first and
winning the other four.

Chiam and Low NEVER had a walkover, or had the ?privilege? of entering
Parliament by piggybacking on others.

This is what leaders should do. This is what each and every MP must do ?
fight in an open contest, and not hide behind coattails and worse, say if
they get into Parliament they want to ?understudy? the senior members.

We pay S$15,000 a month to each MP.

For such a large sum of money, it is incumbent that each MP contest and win
each and every election ? just like what Chiam and Low have done and will
have to do in this election as well.

No hiding. No piggybacking. No coattails to hang on to.

WP Chairman Sylvia Lim - may not get into Parliament

But the point I want to make is this:

It would be really really sad and bad for Singapore if someone like Tin Pei
Ling is slipped into Parliament without a single vote cast in her favour,
while those like Chen Show Mao, Sylvia Lim or even Low Thia Khiang do not
get in.

Indeed, the dud slate of candidates the PAP is offering ? and if each and
everyone of them gets into Parliament ? puts Singapore in a precarious
position, moving forward.

Here?s another scary thought: In the 2006 general election, all 24 new PAP
candidates got into Parliament ? a 100% success rate.

While only 2 from the opposition were elected.

So, when you cast your vote, think very very carefully.

Please.

  • Re: Low quality pap candidates
    ... It's time people ask those PAP newbies, if they are into Parliament as a service to the people or for the salary. ... I am really concerned that someone like Tin Pei Ling, ... Chen is expected to be on the WP ticket for the elections. ...
    (soc.culture.singapore)
  • Re: Hung, drawn and quartered and...
    ... members of the UK Parliament. ... We are coming up to the elections on June 4th for UK members of the ... Candidates have been out canvassing in the traditional way: ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Dr. Chee Soo Juan forced LHLs hand
    ... There will be a minimum of nine opposition members of parliament from the ... There will be fewer six-member Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs), ... The Constitution and the Parliamentary Elections Act will be amended to ...
    (soc.culture.singapore)
  • Re: Dr. Chee Soo Juan forced LHLs hand
    ... There will be a minimum of nine opposition members of parliament from the ... The Constitution and the Parliamentary Elections Act will be amended to ... There will be fewer six-member GRCs and a few more smaller ones, ...
    (soc.culture.singapore)
  • Re: "Fortune favors the brave".
    ... >> ST- Don't make it difficult to contest elections ... >> may help weaker party candidates contest a constituency. ... >> MP must be admitted to Parliament based on personal merit, ... >> One argument in support of GRCs was that of minority representation, ...
    (soc.culture.singapore)