Re: NOL sacks David Lim

Wow you have been doing voluntary work without a job to feed 3 kids is a
sobering problem of this country which received most of the tax moeny from
its people, and yet they now have not been taken care to have a job
provided.

In Australia, the union is so strong that any foreigner who went in there to
be a consultant even has to be aproved by the union there frst to see if
there is a need ot have one from overseas or not. Lately, a Australian in
Singapore told me that he brought a Singaporean friend, a building
contractor to hgelp and to advise his work, giving him a post of consulant,
was rejected by the union there in Australia.

He said Singaporeans no matter how qualified he may be could not even get a
job there - not even a advisory short visit job, unless he is a permanent
resident there. He said Singaporeans in Singapore were not given first
privileges because there were no union to vet and to stop any foriegner to
work in Singapore., That is why there is a high unemployment and loss of
jobs in Singapore that lost away permanently that wil not be able to be
recovered as there is no replacement skills that were drained to foreigners.

"David Teo sgp" <dresorz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I had been busy looking for employment, doing voluntary work in P Banyak
(Aceh), providing local assistance to a NGO doing relief work in
Yogyarkata,
and waiting to go to KL in 5 hours' time. So don't have internet access
most
of the time.

Well, in this particular thread, I feel it was inaccurate and unfair to
shoot down David Lim. He don't know me and I have no vested interest here.
But you can check out the JTC, SPG and other Singaporeans working in
Suzhou
and Shanghai. We speak very frankly and freely among ourselves. I have yet
to hear one negative remark about him.

I do not track how DL perform in NOL. But his departure is a surprise to
me,
particularly against the backdrop of an industry which is heading
into
a cyclical downturn. Shipping rates are softening as new freight capacity
supply outpace demand. Market analysts are predicting weaker freight
trends
in the Europe-Asia and Transpacific routes. Adding to the problem is the
fact that fuel costs had gone skywards and nobody knows what after usd 70
per barrel. The Iranian and Nigerian issues doesn't help. It will be
foolish
for NOL to ditch DL. I do not think this is the case. He's been in NOL for
~3 years and I believe we can all read the annual reports and conclude
that
he held the fort well despite the difficult environment. As with the
problems of the SIP, I think it is not fair to point fingers at him. As
mentioned earlier, DL is not known to be a yesman. Let's all wish him well
and that he will continue to contribute to the well being of the country
irregardless of whether he is in the private or public sector.
dt

"Zanzibar" <zanzibar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
You made good contribution here before. But you have not been writing
here
for a long time. So waht makes you writing here again?

"David Teo sgp" <dresorz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I lived in Suzhou (Xinjia Hua Yuan) some years back. David Lim was
there.
He
was a professional manager and a good man. Never a yes man and I think
never
will be.

I'd seen my MP Cedric twice. Once with schooling issues for my son and
the
last time in Jan 2006 when I came back from Shenzhen without a job. 2
of
the
3 occasions he was not at the MPS and I was assisted by some grassroots
leaders. I could not get any useful assistance for both issues. In fact
on
my last visit, I was advised to be "realistic" and consider joining the
Town
Council estate cleaning crew or the nearby hawker center cleaning
contractor. I have nothing against any kind of jobs. But that was not
the
best advise for someone whose 3 school going children cost more than
sgd
1k
per month. Is this what we get for political leaders who are paid way
above
the global norm?

I visited SGH 3 months ago and discovered that I had 6 stones. Cost of
shooting them down is ~sgd 2300. This is more than the average monthly
salary of a worker. And 1 million dollar politician said adamantly that
healthcare cost is affordable. I am puzzled.
David Teo

"Zanzibar" <zanzibar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Wasn't that last year it was said he went in and the business
florished
and
profit went up. so why he was bummed off sicne the pay is very hgih
too -
surely no one would be so silly as to lose it - it is like losing the
ball
to other in the football match

And, what about the white knight leaker minister cedric foo who also
got
in
to one of the senior jobs in NOL? .