Re: US general predicts pull-out from Iraq

AleXX wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>>IMHO, it wasn't that the US had to pull out, it was out of
>>political convenience for a war that was micromanaged from
>>Pres. Lyndon B. Johnson's office. US troops were not
>>allowed to win the war. This war is different, in that the
>>troops are allowed to defend themselves and use offensive
>>means to weed out pockets of resistance. However,
>>developing a sufficient self-defense force will take time,
>>perhaps years. AFAIK, for the US it seems to be another
>>Korea or West Germany. Troop strengths may change, but
>>there will be US troops there for a while.
>
> How do you corelate Korea/Germany with Iraq? the former two
> were US bases, totally safe from daily harassment, so
> troops could be reduced as and when needed.....Baghdad's
> Green Zone is not a base, it's only a heavily protected
> place where the US troops could feel "safer".....

Bases came later as a result of occupation. If US remains
there, it would not surprise me if they build a permanent
base.

--
HPT

  • Re: An Honest Question For the Conservative Wing of RSPW
    ... Do we pull out of there? ... troops in a year from Afghanistan - but if I were him, ... sent the troops in with a marker to the Defense Dept to see where we ... that would concern me when you're fighting a war. ...
    (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)
  • The Forgotten Troops -- Wounded G.I.s
    ... What do the promoters of the Iraq War have to say about its legacy ... attention than the 3,500 troops killed in Iraq. ... signature wound: traumatic brain injury. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Bush loses, al Quaeda Wins
    ... > Radioactive Wounds of War ... He returned from his Iraq tour a year ... > Daily News and reporter Juan Gonzalez to be tested for depleted uranium ... only some 270 returned troops have been tested for DU ...
    (soc.culture.iraq)
  • Re: The mother of all terrorists...to be taken quite literally!
    ... American forces have intervened elsewhere around the globe 100 times. ... Indeed the United States has sent troops abroad or militarily struck ... Since World War II, the United States actually dropped bombs on 23 ... Hawaii - 1893 - Navy sent to Hawaii to overthrow the independent ...
    (alt.religion.islam)
  • Ever since the United States Army massacred 300 Lakotas in 1890, American forces have intervened els