Re: US general predicts pull-out from Iraq

AleXX wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>>IMHO, it wasn't that the US had to pull out, it was out of
>>political convenience for a war that was micromanaged from
>>Pres. Lyndon B. Johnson's office. US troops were not
>>allowed to win the war. This war is different, in that the
>>troops are allowed to defend themselves and use offensive
>>means to weed out pockets of resistance. However,
>>developing a sufficient self-defense force will take time,
>>perhaps years. AFAIK, for the US it seems to be another
>>Korea or West Germany. Troop strengths may change, but
>>there will be US troops there for a while.
>
> How do you corelate Korea/Germany with Iraq? the former two
> were US bases, totally safe from daily harassment, so
> troops could be reduced as and when needed.....Baghdad's
> Green Zone is not a base, it's only a heavily protected
> place where the US troops could feel "safer".....

Bases came later as a result of occupation. If US remains
there, it would not surprise me if they build a permanent
base.

--
HPT

  • Re: An Honest Question For the Conservative Wing of RSPW
    ... Do we pull out of there? ... troops in a year from Afghanistan - but if I were him, ... sent the troops in with a marker to the Defense Dept to see where we ... that would concern me when you're fighting a war. ...
    (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)
  • The Forgotten Troops -- Wounded G.I.s
    ... What do the promoters of the Iraq War have to say about its legacy ... attention than the 3,500 troops killed in Iraq. ... signature wound: traumatic brain injury. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Bush loses, al Quaeda Wins
    ... > Radioactive Wounds of War ... He returned from his Iraq tour a year ... > Daily News and reporter Juan Gonzalez to be tested for depleted uranium ... only some 270 returned troops have been tested for DU ...
    (soc.culture.iraq)
  • Re: Hope Rides Alone
    ... Bush Calls on France for Help: War Without End ... "We support the troops!" ... But, of course, war funding doesn't support ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • new posting?
    ... Bush Calls on France for Help: War Without End ... "We support the troops!" ... But, of course, war funding doesn't support ...
    (misc.news.internet.discuss)