RIP Sir James Black

Sir James Black from Lanarkshire and Fife, winner of the Nobel prize for his development of beta blockers, died on 23 March at the age of 85. There's a full obit in the Scotsman.
Lesley Robertson

  • Re: Another kick ass Ferrari beater!!!
    ... >>> It's not neglect, it's old age. ... > It's old age and bad build quality. ... When you go to bed tonight - cross your fingers and keep repeating "I'm a winner, I'm a winner, I'm a winner" until you drop off. ... 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • New "Golden Age" ?
    ... A new "Golden Age"? ... Prokofieff's 3rd Piano Concerto in the Finals: ... Montreal International Music Competition 2008 Winner. ... At age 16, BBC Young Musician 2010 Winner, in the complete Saint - ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)
  • Re: Have you ever seen a whale take a shit? how about a Penquin?
    ... Every Ig Nobel Prize winner has done something that first makes ... FLUID DYNAMICS: Victor Benno Meyer-Rochow of International University ... Missed the 2005 Ig Nobel Prize Ceremony? ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • "Survivor" revealsn new contestants
    ... CBS ANNOUNCES THE 18 CASTAWAYS COMPETING ON "SURVIVOR" ... Alliances and relationships will be tested and bonds will be broken when mothers, daughters, brothers, spouses and partners vie against each other in the ultimate competition, raising the question of which is thicker: Blood or Water? ... This season marks the return of Exile Island, where each week two loved ones square off against one another in a battle that will send the loser to isolation on Exile Island, while the winner receives reward for his/her Tribe.. ... Age: 25 Winter Park, Fla. ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: any good links for Western States buzz?
    ... Thanks for digging it out. ... I think I now have my pick for the overall winner. ... You might think the age is too much to be the winner but I am thinking ...
    (rec.running)