Re: Lesley Duncan Re: Off Topic..............Alex Chilton dead

"Cory Bhreckan" <coryvreckan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:hnub3k$ksa$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Allan wrote:

"HardySpicer" <gyansorova@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:926eab35-11d4-40e3-bcb3-077ff12129ab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
************************************

Yes it is not surprising Chilton is virtually unknown here. Hardly anyone can remember the Box Tops though they did have three hits in the 1960s. I tried to play "The Letter" a few months back and virtually everyone knew the song; most of a certain age remembered it through the Joe Cocker cover version; though surprisingly the original by the Box Tops was a much bigger hit reaching number 5 whilst Cocker only got to number 39.

Allan

I remember 'The Letter' playing on AM radio when I was a kid.

While we're looking back nostalgically. This was number one the year I was born in August 1960

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLocafpLMi0&feature=related

This was the first record I ever owned myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0OLn3z7Maw&feature=related

And this is the first record I ever bought myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muMcWMKPEWQ

Allan

  • Re: Lesley Duncan Re: Off Topic..............Alex Chilton dead
    ... Yes it is not surprising Chilton is virtually unknown here. ... Hardly anyone can remember the Box Tops though they did have three hits in the 1960s. ... I tried to play "The Letter" a few months back and virtually everyone knew the song; most of a certain age remembered it through the Joe Cocker cover version; though surprisingly the original by the Box Tops was a much bigger hit reaching number 5 whilst Cocker only got to number 39. ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Lesley Duncan Re: Off Topic..............Alex Chilton dead
    ... Yes it is not surprising Chilton is virtually unknown here. ... can remember the Box Tops though they did have three hits in the 1960s. ... And this is the first record I ever bought myself ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Lesley Duncan Re: Off Topic..............Alex Chilton dead
    ... Yes it is not surprising Chilton is virtually unknown here. ... anyone can remember the Box Tops though they did have three hits ... And this is the first record I ever bought myself ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: Lesley Duncan Re: Off Topic..............Alex Chilton dead
    ... anyone can remember the Box Tops though they did have three hits in ... it through the Joe Cocker cover version; ... original by the Box Tops was a much bigger hit reaching number 5 ... Specifically the transistor radios of older teenagers at the beach. ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)