Re: Ping the Yanks
- From: S Viemeister <firstname@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:12:31 -0500
On 3/2/2010 10:00 AM, conwaycaine wrote:
"S Viemeister"<firstname@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wroteSee also <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arbiter>On 3/1/2010 10:32 AM, conwaycaine wrote:
And there you Brits stand, waving the Union Jack, and saying "We are theThat would be 'arbiters'.
sole arbitrators of what is and isn't good English"
I'm not sure you are correct, Shiela.
But let me check my Webster's just to see.
Well, my heavens, it appears you ARE incorrect.
Score one for the left side of the pond then..............
Main Entry: ar·bi·tra·tor
Date: 15th century
: one that arbitrates : arbiter
The words are cousins, but they are used in slightly different ways.
- Prev by Date: Re: Ping the Yanks
- Next by Date: Re: Ping the Yanks
- Previous by thread: Re: Ping the Yanks
- Next by thread: Re: Ping the Yanks